Class 3 toll charges

LDAllen replied on 15/01/2023 09:50

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:50

Hi all 

I have just upgraded my van from 3500kg to 3850kg, this moves the toll class on French toll roads. Currently the van is class 2 on toll roads, next time I go abroad the van will be class 3. Does anyone have experience paying class 3 tolls? Are they much dearer than class 2 tolls? 
lee 

peedee replied on 15/01/2023 10:05

Posted on 15/01/2023 10:05

Yes they are a lot dearer in France and I try and avoid French toll roads as much as possible, not too hard to do. Costs in other countries, appart from where "Go boxes" are required, notably Austria, are not very different if at all e.g Italy. If your motorhome is below 3 meters in height you will probably get away with paying Class 2 in France but in countries where you have to show your registration certificate for a vignette or collect a toll tag to pay tolls you won't.

peedee

peedee replied on 15/01/2023 11:21

Posted on 15/01/2023 11:21

I am not so sure Class 3 applies anymore because on checking out the toll charges between Bordeaux and Bayonne >here<, vehicles over 3.5 tons are split into three categories A, B, and C, motorhomes fall into category A. Sampling costs, Class 2 is 11 euros, Class A is 30 euros. It still remains very expensive compared to Class 2 and further more, there may also be emission charges added on top depending on what Euro engine you have, but how they check up on that I have no idea.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 15/01/2023 11:26

Posted on 15/01/2023 11:26

As a rough approximation Class 2 tolls were about 50% higher than class 1 tolls for a single car. And class 3 tolls were somewhat above double the price of class 1 tolls. But there are exact price  calculators on line as it varies from one autoroute to another now that it it’s A,B andC categories.

However if the automated toll booths were charging you class 2 rates last year, and if it’s the same vehicle and all you have done is change the weight label on the door pillar then I think you will be charged at the same rate as last year. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook