Caravanning into Italy

JeanandNeil replied on 08/09/2016 23:14

Posted on 08/09/2016 23:14

Thinking of towing my caravan down through France and into Italy to visit Pompeii etc. next May, any advice tips etc.?  All the photos show campers. Has anybody undertaken this trip with a caravan?

KjellNN replied on 08/09/2016 23:21

Posted on 08/09/2016 23:21

Yes, twice.  No problem, though pitches are often smaller than  in UK.  Suggest you repost in the "overseas" section for a better response.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/09/2016 00:29

Posted on 09/09/2016 00:29

Jean and Neil

We have caravanned in Italy many times although we have since changed to a motorhome. With a bit of planning nothing difficult to worry you. We have only been as far south as Rome in the caravan and our last trip is recorded here which might give you a few pointers. This is a campsite used by the Kontiki Kid at Pompeii if it helps, you could also stay in Sorrento and catch the train which is not far from the ruins.

David

Oneputt replied on 09/09/2016 07:16

Posted on 09/09/2016 07:16

I'm off to Italy a week today towing the caravan but will be travelling alone.  Going via tunnel and routing through Switzerland as I'm only going to just south of Milan to (Pavia).  My return will be through Germany as I will catch the ferry at  Hook of Holland.  We came across some Italian caravans whilst in Austria and the Czech Republic last month. 

Longtimecaravanner replied on 09/09/2016 08:14

Posted on 09/09/2016 08:14

To know anything about Italy Russell, who practically lives there, is the man to ask. This is his website

http://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/

I know he is a motorhomer but I am sure he will answer any questions caravan related

DavidKlyne replied on 09/09/2016 09:26

Posted on 09/09/2016 09:26

To know anything about Italy Russell, who practically lives there, is the man to ask. This is his website

http://www.motorhomevoyager.co.uk/

I know he is a motorhomer but I am sure he will answer any questions caravan related

Just for information Russell is ls also known at the Kontiki Kid and it was his site report that I linked to above for Pompeii. 

David

curly 1971 replied on 09/09/2016 09:28

Posted on 09/09/2016 09:28

Hi

Took my van last year down through France, up and through Monte Blanc and then only Lake Garda.  It was an awesome epic adventure and Im looking to do it again soon.  So many various routes to choose from but mine was;

Dover - Calais Ferry

A26 down towards Reims/Troyes

A5/A31 to Djion

Couple of nights stop at our favourite site - http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/camping-chateau-de-l-eperviere-id253-id_camping336.html

After a couple of nights of chilling/drinking the amazing wine produced on the site we set off skimming Geneve towards Monte Blanc Tunnel into Italy, taking the van through is easy but expect a little bit of a queue and then a million tunnels as you drive along one of the most stunning motorways in Europe towards Milan.  Milan Motorway is like the M25 on a friday night, bit of a wake up call after the amazing countryside before/after it and a little bumpy.

We had two kids in the car, and they are good on long journeys and have asked when we aer doing it again :-)

Via Michelin route planner is invaluable as you can tick caravan for the route and choose tolls (get a tag, so much quicker in France).

Hope that helps - enjoy the ride!!!!

hitchglitch replied on 10/09/2016 13:05

Posted on 10/09/2016 13:05

We visited Italy many times with the caravan but never further than Cinque Terra. Personally I found that West coast a bit of a nightmare - small pitches, busy roads etc. but many do it. Just don't try to caravan down the Amalfi coast!

Easiest way to visit Pompei is to pick up the railway line that runs Sorrento to Naples. 

DianneT replied on 10/09/2016 19:49

Posted on 10/09/2016 19:49

Thinking of towing my caravan down through France and into Italy to visit Pompeii etc. next May, any advice tips etc.?  All the photos show campers. Has anybody undertaken this trip with a caravan?

Write your comments here...We have been to Italy a few times with our large twin axle caravan as well as slightly smaller van from 2004 to 2008 travelling as far as Puglia on the heel of Italy.  To be honest we find the best way to travel to Italy is through Belgium from Calais, down through Germany just into Austria to visit Innsbruck and then to Lake Garda and then down to other parts of Italy where we have been to Pompeii, Rome, Venice and the Trulli House Area of Alberobello.  Only small Toll is  through Austria and over the Brenner Motorway..  We then have returned from Venice up to Karten area of Southern Austria up to Salzburg and back into Germany home.  my routes are here  they include recommended, mostly ACSI Camping Card Sites, en route especially for Car + Caravan.

If you would like any more info just ask I will be pleased to help.  I have just completed a Route and Map with Campsites for Round Trip to Garda and back through Austria and Germany I can send a copy by email if you would like.

DianneT..  .  .  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook