Caravanning in Republic of Ireland

davidpembs replied on 13/12/2022 16:22

Posted on 13/12/2022 16:22

Hi everyone

My wife and I are planning to visit the Republic of Ireland next year and, ideally, would take the caravan. I wondered if there is anyone here with experience of taking a towed caravan to Ireland, particularly the west coast? If so, would you share your experience please, in particular how easy it is to get around the roads. Are there a lot of single track roads in the west that are a problem for an articulated vehicle such as a caravan? I have driven many single track roads in the west and north of Scotland without problem - mainly because there is generally excellent visibility of the road ahead and avoiding action can be taken in plenty of time. I wonder what the conditions are like in Ireland?

Thanks in advance

David

Tinwheeler replied on 13/12/2022 16:44

Posted on 13/12/2022 16:44

It was nearly 20 years ago we took our caravan to Eire. Based on that, I would say you’ll have no problems providing you don’t try to go off the beaten track. I’d not try towing round the Ring of Kerry though! I remember the roads being a decent width but in need of resurfacing in places. I’d do it again with no hesitation.

I expect someone with more recent experience will be along soon. 

JVB66 replied on 13/12/2022 16:54

Posted on 13/12/2022 16:54

There is an Irish numberplate on the big German twin axle on site here ,I will ask if they are receptive

brue replied on 14/12/2022 11:00

Posted on 14/12/2022 11:00

It's awhile since we took our caravan on a round trip taking in some of the north, west and south. No problems, not many stopping places on the main routes. Be prepared to just park up wherever for rest breaks. Would love to go back, hope you have a great trip. smile

Lutz replied on 14/12/2022 12:19

Posted on 14/12/2022 12:19

We have done it too some years back, including taking the caravan around the Ring of Kerry, and that with a left hand drive car. Admittedly my wife next to me got scared on those narrow roads when trucks or buses came in the opposite direction. She later decided to join the children on the back seat, in order not to be too helplessly exposed, but we managed it all very well and I'd go again.

davidpembs replied on 14/12/2022 17:48

Posted on 14/12/2022 17:48

Thanks all for your responses to my query. It sounds as though it is generally OK. I will have a closer look at the Ring of Kerry to see what the roads look like there - possibly siting the caravan outside of this area. I will proceed further with the planning!

Tinwheeler replied on 14/12/2022 19:07

Posted on 14/12/2022 19:07

Sounds like a good scheme, DP. We stayed at Killarney and toured the Ring of Kerry by solo car. Incidentally, it’s recommended that you 'do' the Ring in an anti-clockwise direction. This makes it more or less one way traffic and avoids meeting many oncoming vehicles.

I'm sure you’ll love itπŸ‘πŸ»

DSB replied on 15/12/2022 00:40

Posted on 15/12/2022 00:40

No plans to go to Ireland, immediately, but it's certainly on my list of places to go, so I'm listening to all the replies.

David

Chemik89 replied on 15/12/2022 18:03

Posted on 15/12/2022 18:03

davidpambs,

like you, we are planning to tour southern Ireland.

We intend to travel on the larger roads, and mooch about from a central area(i;e tour the ring of kerry via car only}

We have already booked our ferry crossing from Holyhead to Dublin and return via the club at a reasonable price.

We plan to tour:

Wexford/Waterford --Killarney--Galway--and Dublin

No specific order but would appreciate help with finding campsites in those area.

Have you or other  members come across any appealing sites in those areas ?

all help appreciated.

Chemik

brue replied on 15/12/2022 18:28

Posted on 15/12/2022 18:28

For Dublin we used the Camac Valley caravan park, it's next door to a large park and is on a bus route for Dublin. We had visited Dublin before and wanted to see more, it's a lovely city. We also used the site as a base to drive up to the Boyne to see New Grange, this is a wonderful ancient monument, well worth a day out.

For the Galway area we stayed at Cong and travelled out to Connemara, Mayo and Galway. Cong is very interesting situated on Lough Corrib. But obviously there are other sites which might suit you more.

The Camping Ireland website is very useful for all the approved sites.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook