Calais to Lake Garda 2024

Mark15365 replied on 10/01/2024 12:49

Posted on 10/01/2024 12:49

I am sure this has been discussed and debated on many previous threads. However some of the ones i have read date back 2014...

So as i am looking for advice and guidance for one maybe two stopovers for a night en route to lake Garda in June.

We have a 3500kg New Fiat Ducato based Swift campervan. I already have the French Plein Air sticker rated at number 2, so no issue going into Emission Zones etc.

I am getting a late Eurotunnel on a Sunday 24/06 this year. 

I dont mind which route to take, and costs of tolls etc are no problem. 

As i drive an articulated truck driving 10 hours etc is no problem, we have regularly driven down to southern Spain from Calais with one or two stops in France.

Any up to date route or decent stops would be greatly appreciated.

eurortraveller replied on 11/01/2024 14:54

Posted on 11/01/2024 08:05 by Mark15365

Hi eurotraveller,

Thanks for the IAG.

I think the route i will take is via Germany/Austria .  If its 10 euros for the Austrian Vignette thats 42 euros cheaper than the Swiss one so will save a bit there..

Posted on 11/01/2024 14:54

If you are ending up in Pisa (as you yourself said) then your direct route home will be through Switzerland. A  Swiss vignette will do for both journeys,  so you might as well use it for the outward journey as well. Why slog along the German autobahns in their notorious slow traffic -  on a route which is longer? 

peedee replied on 11/01/2024 15:26

Posted on 11/01/2024 15:26

Then you may have to contend with the Gottard tunnel an even more notorious bottleneck unless you go over the top. The only traffic problems I have encountered is around Hamburg or at road works of which there were none last year on the Germany/Austria route. Even travelling through central Germany last year, Essen/Dortmund heading for Dresden was no problem.

peedee

P.S. The Gottard tunnel has got so bad they are thinking of introducing tolls in addition to the vignette to try to reduce the traffic

chasncath replied on 11/01/2024 16:18

Posted on 11/01/2024 16:18

Back in the day, we used to travel to Garda via the Frejus tunnel. For speed and simplicity ( and don't mind the tolls) travel down the A26 from Calais then head down past Reims and Dijon to Beaune. Overight stop at Les Bouleaux at Vignoles having topped up with diesel at Intermarche after leaving to autoroute. https://campinglesbouleaux.wixsite.com/lesbouleaux (in ACSI guide).

Next stop at Saint Jean de Maurienne and Camping Des Grands Cols. http://campingdesgrandscols.com/en/ . The following morning head up the valley to the Frejus tunnel and then into Italy above Turin. Along the autostrade towards Milan and you'll be at the south end of lake Garda by afternoon.

The tunnel is expensive! https://www.sftrf.fr/uk/index.aspx , but we always found it worthwhile.

Mark15365 replied on 11/01/2024 16:51

Posted on 11/01/2024 16:51

Hi Chasncath,

Thank you for the replies.

I will certainly consider your advice.

Not been into Italy before but Southern Spain i dont need a map or a sat nav for the way i go.

Thanks

Mark

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook