Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Bilbao

nicday replied on 31/10/2023 09:32

Posted on 31/10/2023 09:32

Off to the south of France again next year - normally we drive down over 3 days, but have decided to try the ferry.

We have booked a club 4 birth cabin on the boat for the family and I guess its going to be basic with bunk beds - but we have got a outside cabin.

From those who have traveled with Brittany Ferries on this route - what's it like? what are the boats like and what is there to do? I have heard the the bay of biscay is rough, but hoping in the summer its easy and flat.

Just after some experiences and suggestions

On the way down its two nights and only one on the way back

eurortraveller replied on 31/10/2023 10:51

Posted on 31/10/2023 10:51

Modern ships, smart and clean. Standard four  berth cabin will have two upper bunks and two lower. Cubicle with shower and toilet in corner of cabin. Take minimal baggage into cabin as it will be a tight fit to for four people. Bedding and clean towels provided. Cinema, bars , restaurants and entertainers on board. Or sit out on top deck and sun bathe. Your phones will link to satellites in the sky at great expense so switch roaming off and use on board wi fi . Much more into on Brittany website.

young thomas replied on 31/10/2023 11:08

Posted on 31/10/2023 11:08

Which part of 'Le sud' are you heading for?

if you sail to Bilbao, Nice (for example) is Agde is 10 hrs or more and Nice 16 hrs drive...

I've just done the sims for a route to nr Valencia...it's a far chunk more to use the long ferry than to drive through France...and you gain no time.

adding the cabin and the BF 'lounge' facility makes it  early twice as much.

having said that, the boats are great, we sailed to Santander last time and used the lounge, but you save no time overall.

Pliers replied on 31/10/2023 11:20

Posted on 31/10/2023 11:20

Depends on which ship you’re booked on. 

The Pont Aven has good entertainment / choice of bars, restaurants etc.  Kids entertainment and play areas, too. And a small pool on the top deck. 

The newer ferries have very little in the way of entertainment, take a good book, or even better, 2 good books. Not much choice of where to eat, but the food is good and reasonably priced.

Good cabins on all the ferries, and your Club cabin will have a TV and tea / coffee making facilities.

We’ve used this crossing many times, and would always prefer it to having to drive miles through France.

Have a great time, I’m sure you will. 🙂

nicday replied on 31/10/2023 11:27

Posted on 31/10/2023 11:27

Thanks everyone 

We are staying a Canet en Rousillion so about 350 miles from Bilbao and with the bookings/sailing we will have a couple of nights between landing and arriving at our site. So plenty of time to enjoy the northern Spain and France

We have done the drive 5 time in the past and know it well, so fancied a change and to try something new. 

Looks like we are on a newer boat - departs actually at 2230 on the Tuesday from Portsmouth and then we have another night onboard and docking at 0800 on the Thursday. 

We then have until Saturday morning to enjoy ourselves and take our time 

Tammygirl replied on 31/10/2023 11:28

Posted on 31/10/2023 11:28

We've used the Portsmouth to Santander crossing a few times on the Pony Aven but now the crossings are longer, the ships slower, we have gone back to using Portsmouth to St Malo and drive down, doesn't take long and we like the time to find new places.

We are considering the Plymouth yo Santander crossing next year as this is still under 24hrs, then coming back will be St Malo overnight crossing. 

Always found the shops fine, but time doesn't pass quickly and you need to be prepared for that. Take a device that you can download a few films to watch and a couple of books. Food is OK, I'll say no more than that, we take a well prepared freezer bag on board with us. 

eurortraveller replied on 31/10/2023 12:24

Posted on 31/10/2023 12:24

NicDay, for the travel day you have mentioned you will be on the ferry Galicia, so no cinema on that ship. A shame.

Arrangements for evening meals in the dining room on Galicia were reported as chaotic when the ship first went into service so I hope that will be better by the time you sail, so ignore two year old reviews and only read up to date ones. There are lots for that particular ship.

Upgrade to get access to food and drink in the Club class lounge only comes  at a price. My guess is £120 extra for  the four of you, but Brittany will give you an accurate figure.

MikeyA replied on 31/10/2023 17:49

Posted on 31/10/2023 17:49

We have previously taken the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander as our final destination was Southern Spain. The trip across the Bay of Biscay in early May was very very rough and there certainly was no sunbathing on the deck. 

However, for your own destination of Canet-en-Roussillon, I do think it would make much sense from a financial and duration point of view, to take the ferry to Caen and drive to the site,

nicday replied on 01/11/2023 08:44

Posted on 01/11/2023 08:44

Thanks for the replies and the insights

As for the suggestion to get the boat to Caen, it would be just the same as our normal journey to the south by driving and we wanted to try something new and different - it is a holiday and new experiences are what we want. We have done the drive 5 years and know it well. Either down the centre and over the central massive or down the east and the joys of Leon. 

From the reviews and the comments it seems a good option and something we are looking forward to. I am sure it will be busy but the ability to get a drink and something to eat will be nice.

Missing the cinema is no big deal and it will be nice to relax and not do the driving for a change

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook