Booking Campsites in Croatia and Slovenia

beancounter replied on 02/11/2023 15:06

Posted on 02/11/2023 15:06

Good afternoon all,

We're just starting to plan a long trip to Slovenia and Croatia next May/June, and I wondered if any members had done the journey around that time this year. If so, did you need to book ahead for any campsites? Pre-Covid, we never booked ahead (other than perhaps the first night) when travelling to Europe, and rarely had a problem getting a pitch.

This year was our first post-Covid trip (to Austria) and we booked all sites in advance (maybe only a few days ahead). Having read about the increase in caravanning and motorhoming since the pandemic, we thought it was prudent. As it turned out, a number of sites were very busy, and we might have had a problem. Hence the question.

Any thoughts from members would be welcome (as would any campsite recommendations).

cheers

John

peedee replied on 02/11/2023 15:22

Posted on 02/11/2023 15:22

I think you will be fine except for days when there are holidays like Whitsun and Labour Day (1st May). What I did this year was to make sure I was on site before a holiday period and not attempt to move on until after this was over. It worked for me.

peedee

chasncath replied on 02/11/2023 17:35

Posted on 02/11/2023 17:35

For info on campsites have a look at this site. https://www.camping.hr/

There several destinations and campsites to choose from: it all depends on how far south you want to go. Campsites vary from minikamps to those with hundreds or more emplacements.

commeyras replied on 02/11/2023 20:18

Posted on 02/11/2023 20:18

The Bavarian School holiday is the second half of May next year when the whole state seems to migrate to the Italian Lakes or Croatia.  During this period the sites in Croatia will be very busy so some planning ahead may be necessary.  You may well find that joining ACSI will be useful.  We never book en route sites; we tend to stop about 4 - 5 pm and at the lunch stop just look for a site when we know where we will be later in the afternoon.  If you are planning to use a Calais crossing we usually get an afternoon ferry/tunnel and stay at one of the sites about 20 ks east of Calais.  As you will see I am a caravanner so cannot comment on the use of Aires which motorhomes seem to use a lot en route but I am sure someone will come on here with good advice.

Slovenia and Croatia are excellent countries to visit.

beancounter replied on 05/11/2023 10:33

Posted on 05/11/2023 10:33

Thanks for those responses, folks.

We had already checked public holidays, but not school holidays, so thanks for the tip ref. Bavaria. We were planning on leaving UK around May 8th, so it might be sensible to spend time in Slovenia at the end of May, and head to Croatia at the beginning of June.

cheers

John

MichaelDerby replied on 21/11/2023 11:14

Posted on 21/11/2023 11:14

During May this year we stayed at Ljubljana Resort and Camping Adria on the Slovenian Coast not far from Trieste.  Both are nice tree shaded sites with good facilities.  They are ACSI sites so prices are reasonable.  Also we did not book either of these sites in advance and had no problems.

Can't say anything about Croatia as we then moved on to Lake Garda.  Our return to Austria from Garda was something of a nightmare as the Brenner Pass motorway was crowded with Germans returning home after their May holidays.  The 200 mile trip from Camping La Ca at Padenghe to Camping Weer near Innsbruck, took over seven hours 

Regards

Michael

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook