Black Forest - tips and where?

AGOG replied on 20/02/2024 12:06

Posted on 20/02/2024 12:06

We are pondering an Autumn trip to the Black Forest i.e. when the kids are back at school. Having never tried Germany before I am looking for help suggestions for where to take our big single axle caravan. We don't like large commercial sites, 20 pitches or less preferably but with usual facilities. Also, what route and stopover would you use travelling from Calais/Dunkerque? Thanks.

Oneputt replied on 20/02/2024 12:30

Posted on 20/02/2024 12:30

I’ve stayed at Trendcamping Wolfach about 3 times. Lovely site with really great facilities including restaurant.  Train station 10 minute stroll away, free travel within Black Forest area.  Reception speaks English if required.  Lovely village of Wolfach a couple of miles away

Dave Nicholson replied on 20/02/2024 17:43

Posted on 20/02/2024 17:43

I’d second Trendcamping near Wolfach. As to a route, my preference would be from Calais or Dunkerque towards Lille, Namur, Luxemburg. There are a couple of sites near to Luxemburg city that are good for a stopover or a couple of nights. The city is beautiful and steeped in history. The south of Germany is beautiful and if you have time to visit Bavaria there are many good sites there too.

Martatin replied on 22/02/2024 16:15

Posted on 22/02/2024 16:15

Another vote for Trendcamping. Excellent free rail ticket to explore the various towns along the valley. 

wh1nbrew replied on 23/02/2024 17:46

Posted on 23/02/2024 17:46

We are also considering the Black forest for a few days, so have been looking these up.

Unfortunately, it seems camping regenbogen, Bad Liebenzell is permanently closed

flatcoat replied on 23/02/2024 18:30

Posted on 23/02/2024 18:30

Please be aware many sites in Germany and elsewhere close in September for winter. Is it large UK Commercial sites you don’t like or large German commercial sites? The latter are generally far better managed and behaviour standards far higher. Highly unlikely to have unruly ill disciplined children kicking footballs at your caravan, or drunk sweary parents. And if there were such behaviour they would be evicted. 

Kamping DE replied on 23/02/2024 20:03

Posted on 23/02/2024 20:03

I live in Germany and would plan to do this,

Drive from Calais to Brussels, Aachen Cologne, Frankfurt and Freiburg This is only 100 miles more than going through France or Luxemburg. There are lots of Camp sites en Route and there is no Toll charges or Clean air restrictions as in France.

There are many amazing things to see on the way such as Brussels, Cologne the Mosel Valley to name a few.

The Black Forrest is spit into the north and south. The south has a bit more to offer in that Strassburg or the Baden Baden or even a trip to Lake Konstanz are all within a daytrip.

Hope this helps

eurortraveller replied on 23/02/2024 20:19

Posted on 23/02/2024 19:22 by AGOG

Pretty much large sites full stop. In the UK it's cl's for me

Posted on 23/02/2024 20:19

Well, you won’t find CLs in Germany. Sorry

.Remember the old saying When in Rome do as Romans do.  And therefore in Germany do as Germans do. Use their campsites for what they are.

Have a good trip.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook