ASCI cards and their maps

jennyc replied on 04/04/2023 19:41

Posted on 04/04/2023 19:41

We’ve taken delivery of an ASCI card, courtesy of the CaMC. The card is accompanied by a map book printed on the next thinnest thing to rice paper. The scale is such that in many cases, campsites, identified by number obliterate town names, making planning difficult to say the least. But help is within sight if we download the ASCI App, because views can be expended with the usual gestures.

To my mind the paper version is close to unusable. The App completely changes that limitation. It’s a cheap upgrade, worth ever €.

SteveL replied on 04/04/2023 20:27

Posted on 04/04/2023 20:27

There is also the web site at no charge, but yes the App is well worth it as it can also be used offline. Apart from taking the card off, I don’t really use the paper book or map at all.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/04/2023 20:30

Posted on 04/04/2023 20:30

From my experience the map books have always been like that, even pre App. They used to do an annual CD version which was useful if you carried a laptop with you which so many people now don't. The last version of the CD was 2016 and it was excellent at pinpointing sites but alas no longer! Perhaps the App is very similar?

David

jennyc replied on 05/04/2023 07:36

Posted on 05/04/2023 07:36

Thanks to you both. Yes we do take a laptop with us, but mostly use iPads so the App hasn’t been loaded onto the laptop. Like many these days, there’s no CD drive, the demand being for smaller and lighter. Technology can be a real boon so long as we remain lucid enough to fix problems. I very much like the Michelin route planner with its outfit profiling and cost estimates. The App is a pleasure to use.

replied on 05/04/2023 08:18

Posted on 05/04/2023 08:18

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tammygirl replied on 05/04/2023 10:00

Posted on 05/04/2023 10:00

I don't have an issue with the map book or the guides, I find them perfectly readable and informative. Maybe you have a bad copy.

I would't be without the books or using the online version very useful, OH has the app on his phone but I prefer to use the laptop. I log into all the Acsi inspected sites not just the ones in the discount scheme as it shows up many other sites like municipal ones.

I still have the last CD that they produced it was/is very useful.I bought the clubs overseas guides but find them rubbish compared to the Acsi guides.

Edit: my go to when abroad is the searchforsites app. everything you need is on there with up to date reviews.

Lutz replied on 05/04/2023 10:25

Posted on 05/04/2023 10:25

The only snag with the app is that it’s only for Android or IOS based operating systems. If you have a laptop with Microsoft Windows you will need an emulator to get the app to work. That’s no big deal really, but it does take a little while for the emulator to load first. There used to be a Windows version, but they don’t seem to offer it anymore.

jennyc replied on 05/04/2023 18:57

Posted on 05/04/2023 08:18 by

While agreeing the book  couldnt be much lighter in printing and construction it's never been an issue to me and compared with the C&MC handbook it's pure gold.  Most importantly it  has has actual  prices and the dates to which they apply something club seems determined to avoid committing to print .

Posted on 05/04/2023 18:57

Having been caravanning for over 40 years I recognise the extent to which the club has lost contact with its members. From our perspective their USP is CLs. The rest is more of a paper shell than an organisation focussed on member support. 

eurortraveller replied on 06/04/2023 10:07

Posted on 06/04/2023 10:07

Buy the ACSI book, remove the discount card and save it.  Put the book and map straight into the recycling bin.
Ignore ACSI lists and apps. Choose whatever sites you wish from all the other sources available.
Show the cardboard card on arrival at a site and ask if there is a discount.
About  50% yes and 50% no on most of our tours.,

jennyc replied on 08/04/2023 10:08

Posted on 06/04/2023 10:07 by eurortraveller

Buy the ACSI book, remove the discount card and save it.  Put the book and map straight into the recycling bin.
Ignore ACSI lists and apps. Choose whatever sites you wish from all the other sources available.
Show the cardboard card on arrival at a site and ask if there is a discount.
About  50% yes and 50% no on most of our tours.,

Posted on 08/04/2023 10:08

Yes;

Map book unusable in some areas

Books OK but less function than the App, so why bother?

Downloaded offline maps - as it should be. Best supplemented by online site details.

Just turning up. Depends on your attitude to chance if towing.

allanandjean replied on 08/04/2023 11:02

Posted on 08/04/2023 11:02

Just turning up. Depends on your attitude to chance if towing.

Hi, Would presume if “just turning up” is not acceptable then an ACSI Card is not going to be much of an advantage?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook