Archie's Camping

replied on 31/05/2023 07:15

Posted on 31/05/2023 07:15

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 31/05/2023 07:56

Posted on 31/05/2023 07:56

Archie's and sites like it are now outdated. Apps like Search4Sites are far superior. Not only do they show you where sites are but they include all types as well as photos and reviews and they even interface with navigation Apps to take you to your chosen site. There is so much more information about sites available on them.

peedee

replied on 31/05/2023 08:05

Posted on 31/05/2023 07:56 by peedee

Archie's and sites like it are now outdated. Apps like Search4Sites are far superior. Not only do they show you where sites are but they include all types as well as photos and reviews and they even interface with navigation Apps to take you to your chosen site. There is so much more information about sites available on them.

peedee

Posted on 31/05/2023 08:05

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 31/05/2023 10:44

Posted on 31/05/2023 10:44

Search4Sites can be used off line and because it will directly interface with a sat nav if run on the same device there is no need for POIs. Alternatively if you cannot run them on the same device simply put in the listed co-ordinates into your sat nav.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 31/05/2023 15:51

Posted on 31/05/2023 10:44 by peedee

Search4Sites can be used off line and because it will directly interface with a sat nav if run on the same device there is no need for POIs. Alternatively if you cannot run them on the same device simply put in the listed co-ordinates into your sat nav.

peedee

Posted on 31/05/2023 15:51

But surely so much easier to have the POI's loaded directly onto the Sat Nav. I found Archies POI's a saving grace whilst travelling around Europe. There may be better technological solutions now but going back 15 or so years Archies POI's were a godsend. Such things may appear old fashioned now but it was a simple way of doing things and for those that don't live and breath the latest technology I still reckon, through choice many would still use them, assuming you can, of course, still load them directly onto a sat nav?

David

peedee replied on 31/05/2023 16:40

Posted on 31/05/2023 16:40

I agree before Apps came along site POIs were very useful, I used them myself but today they do not provide the information that you can now get from Apps.

peedee

Burgundy replied on 02/06/2023 22:25

Posted on 02/06/2023 22:25

See this thread by Valda who I think was one of the translators

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/overseas-sites-touring/archies-campings-end-of-an-era/

The website was closed down but the app is still available and kept up to date. I've used the POIs for years and downloaded the last update, but not tried the app yet. We are in France at the moment and still using Archies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook