Air coolers

Janet Clowes replied on 29/04/2021 16:39

Posted on 29/04/2021 16:39

Hi Folks, can anyone please recommend any portable air coolers suitable for a VW campervan ? Myself and the other half are hoping to go to Spain in July and its obviously going to be very hot. We need something to cool the van down when parked up on site. Thanks

chasncath replied on 29/04/2021 17:02

Posted on 29/04/2021 17:02

Spain in July! That's going to be hot as you say.

To cool down your 'van you need to close all the doors and windows and run a portable air-conditioner, so that's best avoided. Spanish campsites will have either natural shade ( trees) or overhead screens stretched over metal frames. The former is best as trees give off cooling moisture during the day: the latter can be a parking hazard.

Best just keep all the windows and doors open with some protection from mozzies ( net or body spray). Your absorption fridge will pack up above 30C so take a 12v/mains cool box and shop daily. For a rapid personal cool-down visit your nearest air-condtioned supermercado and loiter near the cool cabinets. You can also head up into the mountains as the Spanish do.

Finally, adjust your activity to suit the temperature: sleep at mid-day and play tennis at midnight. Spaniards don't go out for 'la cena' until after 10pm or even later!

Good luck with your holidaycool Hope we all manage to get travelling again this summerlaughing

replied on 29/04/2021 17:10

Posted on 29/04/2021 17:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 29/04/2021 17:27

Posted on 29/04/2021 17:27

JC wrote "are hoping to go to Spain in July "

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun...."

The beginning of June to early September was when I avoided visiting my place in Spain and that had aircon!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook