A lesson learned about ferry bookings

Norfolk Hawker replied on 25/02/2024 12:25

Posted on 25/02/2024 12:25

Last year we planned our September trip to France very early in the year and booked the crossing through the club at that time.  Fortunately for my wife her cataract appointment came along just before we were due to go, and postponement was not an option as her eyesight was below DVLC standards. Unfortunately for us although we could change dates the fact that we had booked early meant we could only do this for dates within 12 months of the date we booked. Recovery time after the 2 operation meant we could not have a worthwhile trip so lost the money.

i think we will book direct with the ferry company in future as they have options that give more flexibility, at a higher cost, but more leave of mind for us.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/02/2024 12:52

Posted on 25/02/2024 12:52

Yep, discovered long ago that it pays to compare the T&Cs and, unlike CAMC, the ferry companies answer their phones over the weekend.

I hope your wife made a good recovery.

Wherenext replied on 25/02/2024 12:57

Posted on 25/02/2024 12:57

We once had to amend a booking whilst in France for the return trip. It was a weekend so no point ringing the club. Strange way to run a tour company.. So we just drove to the ferry terminal and the ferry company changed it there and then without an admin fee. 

We tend to book direct now but have booked with the club since that incident as the deal was a lot cheaper with site tokens but at least we did it with our eyes open to the T&Cs.

eurortraveller replied on 25/02/2024 14:48

Posted on 25/02/2024 14:48

NH,  You are right. You don’t need to book a September ferry 8 or 9 months ahead, but many will remain convinced that you do, and will continue.

eribaMotters replied on 25/02/2024 17:34

Posted on 25/02/2024 17:34

eurotraveller, you are correct in that you do not need to book so far in advance, but by doing so the prices can be a LOT cheaper. 

It would also be worth looking into the Red Pennant terms and conditions. I have recently started taking out a years multi trip policy, but only every other year. This gives me cover for a late summer holiday one year and an early summer the next year. I think I'm correct in saying that if I had to cancel the second holiday due to medical reasons then I'd be covered as the policy was already up and running.

Colin

SteveL replied on 25/02/2024 18:59

Posted on 25/02/2024 18:59

Not only can the prices be cheaper, although the sailing may be available closer to the time, particular cabins may not be. Using BF fully flexible the booking can be changed without charge so insurance isn’t required until just before the actual date of travel.

ValDa replied on 26/02/2024 07:58

Posted on 25/02/2024 12:57 by Wherenext

We once had to amend a booking whilst in France for the return trip. It was a weekend so no point ringing the club. Strange way to run a tour company.. So we just drove to the ferry terminal and the ferry company changed it there and then without an admin fee. 

We tend to book direct now but have booked with the club since that incident as the deal was a lot cheaper with site tokens but at least we did it with our eyes open to the T&Cs.

Posted on 26/02/2024 07:58

We tried that and the ferry company wouldn't have anything to do with it!  Speak to the booking agent was the only option, or start again with a new booking.  As it was following a death at home, and over a bank-holiday weekend, we had to do the latter, and took it up with the Club on their re-opening after the bank holiday.

We haven't booked with the club since then.  And because we're flexible on crossings, we now book our outward crossing about three weeks before travelling, and our return once we've decided when we're coming back.

flatcoat replied on 26/02/2024 08:27

Posted on 26/02/2024 08:27

It depends which ferry crossing. You won’t get on Hull Rotterdam booking 3 weeks before travel, or even 3 months. We booked last month for July crossings and could not get our exact preferred dates.

GTrimmer replied on 26/02/2024 11:31

Posted on 26/02/2024 11:31

When booking ANY type of holiday we always take out travel insurance immediately. 

Last year we had booked to go to Sri Lanka in March . In January, after we had paid in full my wife developed a dtatched retina and was banned from flying untill she had cmpletely recoveed.

The insurnce paid out over £3400 .

SteveL replied on 26/02/2024 13:05

Posted on 26/02/2024 11:31 by GTrimmer

When booking ANY type of holiday we always take out travel insurance immediately. 

Last year we had booked to go to Sri Lanka in March . In January, after we had paid in full my wife developed a dtatched retina and was banned from flying untill she had cmpletely recoveed.

The insurnce paid out over £3400 .

Posted on 26/02/2024 13:05

I certainly would if I booked anything like that. However, when touring in France all we book is the ferry. That’s fully flexible and could be put off until the next year if there is an issue. I therefore tend to take out the insurance about two weeks before sailing. That way if we couldn’t go I have not  forked out for the red pennant. Putting off the sailing would also be better than claiming, as there wouldn’t be the £40 x 2 excess deduction.

easyonthegas replied on 29/02/2024 16:11

Posted on 29/02/2024 16:11

Agree that the 12 months validity of refund vouchers dated from the date of booking is very restrictive. Most of us book early to get the lowest prices, and the sailing we want. Flatcoat is correct that bookings now for summer 2024 means higher prices and limited (if any) availability.

As always you get the best flexibility by paying for that option

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook