Motorhomes just over 3m high and french tolls

Quasar524 replied on 18/06/2016 22:43

Posted on 18/06/2016 22:43

We looked at a a couple of AutoTrails today, which were listed as either 3.03 or 3.07 metres high.

Our current motorhome is listed as 2.59 metres high, comfortably within class 2 for our Sanef tag on the French toll roads

Would an AutoTrail at just over 3m get away with paying class 2 tolls via a Sanef tag, or is the equipment sensitive enough to detect the height as being over 3m and thus not class2? 

young thomas replied on 19/06/2016 07:48

Posted on 19/06/2016 07:48

whilst the rules for french tolls have restrictions on height and weight, the 'normally' charged rate is class 2.

we are on a 4.25t chassis but actually only weigh around 3.5 t, and are 2.89m high...always class 2.

if you have an automatic lane and it bills ypu for class 3, press the button, call a staff member and say 'classe deux, s'il vous plais' and Robert est votre oncle Wink

Quasar524 replied on 19/06/2016 12:30

Posted on 19/06/2016 12:30

Thanks BB.  I should have made clear that weight is not an issue for me, my licence these days limits me to 3.5 tonnes.  Up to now neither has height been, our current motorhome is 2.58m high, according to the handbook.

I suppose all that I want to know is whether I could continue to use the Sanef tag without any issues for a motorhome at this height range?  It is a small consideration in whether we buy one or not

hitchglitch replied on 19/06/2016 20:50

Posted on 19/06/2016 20:50

I have been told that Motorhomes are always Class 2 but cannot say for certain. Ours is just under 3m but I imagine that the aerial etc. pushes it over the 3m. So far this trip we have been using the automatic gates and I checked my bill and all the tolls were charged class 2. Driving towards Montpelier today there were big queues at most of the booths and we just drove easily through the auto lane. So cool!

peedee replied on 20/06/2016 09:34

Posted on 20/06/2016 09:34

It seems to me it all depends on the operator of the autoroute as to how you are charged when over 3 meters. Sometimes I get away with class 2 and others not. Quasar email Sanef

peedeee 

Camdoon replied on 20/06/2016 11:00

Posted on 20/06/2016 11:00

If over 3m you will be stopped as the French use height monitors at most if not all tolls. Any discussions thereafter are at your discretion.

Billyc replied on 20/06/2016 14:35

Posted on 20/06/2016 14:35

I have a SANEF Tag from my caravan days but now have a MH of 2.98 high and well over 3.5t.   SANEF and the toll regs clearly state that if over 3m in height or over 3.5t you are Class 3.   But they cannot tell at the gate because I use my tag and am billed as Class 2!!

I hope no Harrogate based SANEF staff are CC members!

Bill C

royandsharont replied on 20/06/2016 15:43

Posted on 20/06/2016 15:43

I have been told that Motorhomes are always Class 2 but cannot say for certain. Ours is just under 3m but I imagine that the aerial etc. pushes it over the 3m. So far this trip we have been using the automatic gates and I checked my bill and all the tolls were charged class 2. Driving towards Montpelier today there were big queues at most of the booths and we just drove easily through the auto lane. So cool!

................................................................................................

The suggestion that motorhomes are always class 2 is definitely not correct. All French motorways are charged by height, weight and axles, with the exception of certain types of busses I think.

Most motorhomes in France are class 2 because they are made that way, i.e. less than 3m high and less than 3.5t. The legalities of it are that if you are over 3m or 3.5t, whilst you may get charged less on occasions, as peedee says he does, I would suggest if you were to speak to an operator and get a reduced fee you were not entitled to then you would be committing fraud/deception. I suspect given the overall charges the companies get they can’t be too bothered to argue and let it go as a class 2 in the whole scheme of things.

Not sure where it stands about the height being increased to over 3m by the fitting of an aerial, I would have thought it would relate purely to the vehicle height as manufactured and not such additions. I could not find any definitions when I looked on the tolls web site about aerials etc. Regards, Roy

TJ49 replied on 20/06/2016 16:45

Posted on 20/06/2016 16:45

We travelled in France a couple of years ago with our Auto Trail Apache, 3.07 mts high.

Very soon we were charged as class 3. I tried to explain to the man in the kiosk that we were a camping car. His response was that we were 'plus trois metres'.

We travelled on the 'N' thereafter without any problems.

Quasar524 replied on 20/06/2016 17:03

Posted on 20/06/2016 17:03

Just got caught by the b****y time out again, and lost my post.

The gist of it was to say thanks for the replies so far, that views are mixed, and to wonder why UK constructors do not consider this issue when designing their vehicles.

Whilst not of itself a deal breaker, this will certainly be on our list of things to consider in choosing our next motorhome.

royandsharont replied on 20/06/2016 19:33

Posted on 20/06/2016 19:33

Quasar I would not worry too much about the height when choosing a van. There are more important things and unless you are still working & need to make good time by using the toll roads it is not an issue. We are class 3 due to weight and only use the toll roads in France to bypass a busy city such as Tours etc. The N roads are very good & the journey is all part of the holiday to us. The last time I checked, as a class 3, we would spend just short of 300€ to get to where we wanted in Spain that would cost us around 100€ in a car. If I bought new again I would try to ensure I was 3.5t which is more important when in other countries. I think only France includes a height of 3m. We need a Go Box for instance in Austria at around 24c a kilometer! & in Switzerland we need heavy vehicle tax on any roads all due to weight. Regards Roy 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook