Visiting London

cjbrooker replied on 08/05/2021 11:21

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:21

Hello,

I'm looking to visit London for a few days sightseeing in May/June half term with my wife and 3 young kids (aged between 5 and 10).
I'm looking for recommendations/options for a site (CL, pub stopover, campsite, anything) with good close (walkable for small legs, possibly a short taxi) links to central London via train, underground or bus in under 1 hour, ideally around 30 minutes.

We're in a motorhome so don't need EHU or shower/toilet block. Just a space to park for a few nights.

Also really looking for somewhere west side of London as I'm travelling from the west country. I'm aware of Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace Caravan Club sites but they are on the east side or south of London.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

eurortraveller replied on 08/05/2021 11:29

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:29

I don’t know of any CLs on the west side of London with public transport, but the Club site Wyatts Covert at Denham has a bus from the gate at 0949 to take motorhomers to Uxbridge for the tube. 

Takethedogalong replied on 08/05/2021 11:50

Posted on 08/05/2021 11:50

Just make sure you understand the restrictions and tariffs for certain vehicles around London. You don’t want to accidentally pick up a charge. 
There was a new CL Advertising earlier that might suit you, I will see if I can find it.....

Here you go, definitely West of London..   https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/berkshire/wokingham/Blueys-Farm/

If you search CLs by County, you might find more..

sainsworth replied on 08/05/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/05/2021 13:35

We stay at Alderstead heath club site, 10min from the M25 , 5min drive to merstham station for trains into london. Great site and very well priced. 

The other site we use is wyatts covert club site a 30min walk to Denham station and Train to Marylebone again about 10min from the M25. 

They are both great sites but Alderstead heath is bigger and has a play area.

DavidKlyne replied on 08/05/2021 15:10

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:10

My preferred choice would be Abbey Wood because the transport links are so good and for the kids Greenwich would be interesting with the option of a boat ride into Central London. However I can see that it would add probably another 50 miles to your journey. Denham, as already mentioned is likely the nearest option for you. Are you a member of the C&CC? If so they have sites at Chertsey and Walton on Thames.

David

replied on 08/05/2021 16:28

Posted on 08/05/2021 15:10 by DavidKlyne

My preferred choice would be Abbey Wood because the transport links are so good and for the kids Greenwich would be interesting with the option of a boat ride into Central London. However I can see that it would add probably another 50 miles to your journey. Denham, as already mentioned is likely the nearest option for you. Are you a member of the C&CC? If so they have sites at Chertsey and Walton on Thames.

David

Posted on 08/05/2021 16:28

The user and all related content has been deleted

SeasideBill replied on 09/05/2021 10:23

Posted on 09/05/2021 10:23

Although Crystal Palace isn’t your ideal location, I wouldn’t dismiss it as it ticks a lot of your boxes and has a lot going for it. Plenty of dog walking on the doorstep, frequent bus (no3) into central London (about every 10 mins) nice leafy location, surprising quiet. Easy level walking to shops, pubs & restaurants. Vibrant multi-cultural area, Crystal Palace Great Exhibition historical site. Train station 10mins walk. It’s living on borrowed time before the developers move in, so maybe getting a bit tired through lack of investment, but still one of my favourite sites.

Located in the low emission zone, but unlikely you’ll be in scope.

Easy access from west country, approach on M4/A4 cross river at Kew Bridge and follow south circular - easy route. Alternatively use M25, J7 I think?

SeasideBill replied on 09/05/2021 11:16

Posted on 09/05/2021 11:16

Also, you could try the Green Man pub in Wembley HA9 8DF. It doesn’t promote itself as an overnight stop, but it has a big car park and people do stay overnight in motorhomes, not cheap tho’,  depends what’s on at Wembley Stadium.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook