Suitable for motorhomes?

eurortraveller replied on 15/04/2019 10:21

Posted on 15/04/2019 10:21

If I look to book a CL the website tells me there are 2209 to choose from. If I click on "Suitable for Motorhomes" it comes down to 2183. So what does that mean?

Do those 2183 have waste water dumping facilities - which cause such controversy on the main Club sites? Or guaranteed hard standings?  Or is there some other way which makes them "suitable"?

i don't want to buy a Motorhome and find that this Club is catering for me simply in name only. 

moulesy replied on 15/04/2019 10:23

Posted on 15/04/2019 10:23

Thinking of buying a MH then are you, et? Or possibly, maybe unintentionally, looking to restart an ongoing controversy? undecided

peedee replied on 15/04/2019 10:31

Posted on 15/04/2019 10:31

I ignore what the Club says ET and judge for myself from:

1. Are they open all year? This could mean well drainling pitches

2. Are hard standings available?

3. Check out access using OS mapping and somethimes Google Earth.

Reviews can be a pointer as well and while I rarely review Club sites I will always review a CL from a motorhomer owners point of view.

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 15/04/2019 10:57

Posted on 15/04/2019 10:57

Could be misleading information. It might mean CL welcomes MHs, it might mean the smaller percentage have decided to protect their grass after an MH has churned up a pitch (not restricted to MHs by the way), it might mean the CL hasn’t bothered to update their information, and so on........

Never come across a CL that didn’t welcome MHs to be honest, but there are some where the ground wouldn’t suit big outfits unless they are well prepared. We tend to use older established CLs, so haven’t used a lot that provide a drive over waste water drain. But we always carry a bucket, and have a word with owners regarding disposing of grey water in hedges etc..... we use a wash up bowl for pots, so our grey water tends to be shower/hand wash water, similar to what you would recycle in a garden water butt. I wouldn’t expect a CL to provide a drive over drain, it might add to the pitch costs like other desirable rather than essential choices.

I would go with PD on this one. Every MH and it’s owners are different, it’s what you are happy with in that location that counts. 

Tinwheeler replied on 15/04/2019 11:09

Posted on 15/04/2019 11:09

That is one reason I like to see photos on the website entry. They’re a great help in deciding. 

CLMaddie replied on 15/04/2019 12:11

Posted on 15/04/2019 12:11

Hi Eurotraveller, 

Thanks for your message.  There could be a few reasons why a Certificated Location may not be suitable for a motorhome.  Ground conditions may be too soft and hard-standing pitches are not available, a CL entrance may be too narrow for larger vehicles or perhaps the route to and from a CL is not suitable.  CL owners themselves may also feel that they are not able to sufficiently cater for motorhomes so rather than let members down, they make members aware via our website that their site is not suitable for motorhomes.

As your figures mention, there is a very small group of CL sites which fall under this category and we do look for sites which can accommodate as many of our members as possible.  

Thanks

Maddie

rayjsj replied on 15/04/2019 12:20

Posted on 15/04/2019 10:21 by eurortraveller

If I look to book a CL the website tells me there are 2209 to choose from. If I click on "Suitable for Motorhomes" it comes down to 2183. So what does that mean?

Do those 2183 have waste water dumping facilities - which cause such controversy on the main Club sites? Or guaranteed hard standings?  Or is there some other way which makes them "suitable"?

i don't want to buy a Motorhome and find that this Club is catering for me simply in name only. 

Posted on 15/04/2019 12:20

Why does Waste dumping services cause such controversity on the main club sites ??  And where are 'Main'  Club sites ?

Confused.   A simple phone call to a CL owner wouĺd surely clear any problems.

rosemaryq22 replied on 15/04/2019 15:10

Posted on 15/04/2019 15:10

We, as a new CL at Elms Farm near Cheltenham welcome motorhomes although we have no hard standings.  The ground if firm and level and the end site is big enough to cater for the largest motorhome.   We are a working farm so there is always a tractor to pull you out in the unlikely event of getting bogged down

nelliethehooker replied on 15/04/2019 20:12

Posted on 15/04/2019 20:12

or perhaps the route to and from a CL is not suitable.

By the very nature of the beast if the route to a site is suitable for a caravan it will also be so for all but the biggest M/Hs surely! There are a few that do put a stipulation on the maximum size of M/Hs and caravans allowed.

peedee replied on 16/04/2019 07:11

Posted on 15/04/2019 20:12 by nelliethehooker

or perhaps the route to and from a CL is not suitable.

By the very nature of the beast if the route to a site is suitable for a caravan it will also be so for all but the biggest M/Hs surely! There are a few that do put a stipulation on the maximum size of M/Hs and caravans allowed.

Posted on 16/04/2019 07:11

It is a question of how remote a CL might be and with the difficulty of parking larger motorhomes, if you want to visit something in the locality you might want to take a car with you. Towing a car with a motorhome down long narrow lanes is not a good idea and one I would rather avoid. Solo it is much easier but I would still rather avoid those with poor access in the first place.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook