Storing caravan short term mid CL holiday

Athel replied on 09/06/2018 10:47

Posted on 09/06/2018 10:47

Looking at our possible dates for getting away on holiday this year we can do 2 or 3 blocks of about a week but each block is separated by 3 or 4 nights that we would need to be back at home. My caravan lives at my parents which is 270 miles away from our home so I was wondering if there are any options for storing the 'van for the few nights in between so that we don't have to take it all the way back to my parents in between trips. I think I'm right that you can't leave the caravan unoccupied on a CL?

replied on 09/06/2018 11:08

Posted on 09/06/2018 11:08

A number of sites do have that facility. CC says max two nights unattended although I have left the caravan unattended for 4 nights on one occasion. I did contact the warden after two days to give a reason for my delay (albeit not the true reason).

Better if you give an idea of the areas that you are looking to leave the outfit.

Athel replied on 09/06/2018 11:15

Posted on 09/06/2018 11:15

Thanks Easy T. We live in East London and the caravan is in Durham. We usually head north or west from Durham because it feels awful to drive back south towards London having just come from there. I think we'd be looking at travelling south down the A1 so anywhere from Yorkshire right down to Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire. I quite fancy Norfolk as I've never been there. We have 2 dogs so somewhere dog friendly. I've only ever stayed on CLs, never been on a big site.

Takethedogalong replied on 09/06/2018 11:52

Posted on 09/06/2018 11:52

I'm not sure what the rules are about leaving a caravan unoccupied on a CL Athel, but I know plenty do! Certainly common with visitors to Cornwall who have a few days over on Scillies. I would find a CL you like, have a chat with owners, they may be quite happy for you to leave your van for a few days once it is made safe. We left one of our vans semi permanent in Cornwall for a number of years by arrangement with land owners. It was put on and off a pitch when we needed it, so the site never had more than 5 vans on the CL area. It was good for them, it was good for us.

North Norfolk coastal area is absolutely lovely by the way, lots of very nice CLs as well.

Athel replied on 09/06/2018 21:30

Posted on 09/06/2018 21:30

Thanks TTDA, I've had a look and found some nice looking CLs in Norfolk.

Viatorem, thanks for the reminder; I need to chase up our insurance because the renewal is due and I haven't heard anything. Hopefully can get it sorted as insuring our 'van is a nightmare as it is old and only 3 of them exist.

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 14/06/2018 10:00

Posted on 09/06/2018 10:47 by Athel

Looking at our possible dates for getting away on holiday this year we can do 2 or 3 blocks of about a week but each block is separated by 3 or 4 nights that we would need to be back at home. My caravan lives at my parents which is 270 miles away from our home so I was wondering if there are any options for storing the 'van for the few nights in between so that we don't have to take it all the way back to my parents in between trips. I think I'm right that you can't leave the caravan unoccupied on a CL?

Posted on 14/06/2018 10:00

If you read page 281 of the CAMC Sites Directory  & Handbook, it states:
... please do not:

• Leave your caravan / motorhome unoccupied on the CL, even for a day or two - 'storage' requires planning permission and is contrary to the ethos of CLs.

Some CLs offer 'Van Storage' (shown in the CL listing as 'VS'), which implies that they do have planning permission somewhere on their premises, but away from the land designated for the CL.  See 'abbreviations' on page 692 of the Sites Directory and the entry for our own CL - number 1321.

In the same way as you cannot assume that the CL has an available pitch, you cannot assume that the CL owner has storage available for your dates - worth checking in advance.

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk
Birch Hill Farm – relax at our award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

Athel replied on 16/06/2018 10:53

Posted on 16/06/2018 10:53

I don't have my handbook, thanks for the info re the CL storage symbol, that's useful to know. Sadly you can't search online for CLs offering van storage. I'm looking into possibly finding a storage facility a bit closer to home that doesn't cost a fortune.

moulesy replied on 17/06/2018 17:00

Posted on 17/06/2018 17:00

Just thinking of a different solution, are your parents club members? Because you could then offer them the use of the van for 3 or 4 nights, ready set up. smile

Otherwise, as others have suggested, have a short list of possible CLs and ring around to see if any offer storage.

Good luck, hope you work something out.

Athel replied on 29/06/2018 16:20

Posted on 29/06/2018 16:20

Thanks all. Fate has intervened and our plans have had to change - the joys of being married to a self employed musician.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook