Setting Up a CL

Slope Soarer replied on 14/09/2018 13:31

Posted on 14/09/2018 13:31

Hi

I have the opportunity of buying a small (1/2 acre) parcel of land in Wales which would be suitable for a CL.

I would propose to offer minimum facilities (as basically I wouldn't initially get permission for a toilet block at this stage), i.e. mains water and electricity.

I would like to offer hard standings (but not essential) and would need to provide some form a point for chemical toilet waste (small septic tank?) which is a necessity for CL approval. Am I right in assuming that I wouldn't need planning permission for these basic elements?

I have spoken to the local planning department, though they were unsure about these points suggesting I need to go through a pre-planning site survey which would cost. I was a bit disappointed on their vague advice and am reluctant to spend on pre-planning advice for something which essentially shouldn't need planning, at the same time I don't want to ruffle to many feathers in case I do need get them onside at some stage!

Any thoughts appreciated at this point.

Regards

Simon

DaveCyn replied on 14/09/2018 13:51

Posted on 14/09/2018 13:51

I would suggest you contact the CL department at the Club & get the correct information straight from them.

eurortraveller replied on 14/09/2018 14:14

Posted on 14/09/2018 14:14

In the meantime just google Setting up a CL. It will give you the rules, the advice, other people's' experience, FAQs, and an application form. 

Slope Soarer replied on 14/09/2018 15:27

Posted on 14/09/2018 15:27

Thanks eurotraveller I have read that. 

I've now spoken to someone at CC regarding my initial questions but now have further questions (single track road, with some passing places) which they couldn't answer until a site visit is done. Unfortunately a site visit can't be completed until I own the land.

It may be more suitable as a Camping and Caravan CS as I could restrict it to tents only and so therefore access wouldn't offer quite the same issues.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/09/2018 15:38

Posted on 14/09/2018 15:38

Have you seen this webpage Simon? Has a link to a guide of how to go about setting up a CL. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/run-your-own-certificated-location/

The CCC's small sites are based on admitting caravans and Motorhomes as well as tents, but might be worth checking for any differences. They do tend to have toilet provision as tent campers don't always carry their own sanitary arrangements, unlike those in vans and MHs.

Slope Soarer replied on 14/09/2018 16:10

Posted on 14/09/2018 16:10

Thanks Johnny, in an ideal world I would prefer Caravan Club but to make it work may have to look elsewhere. Also I've never heard of Freedom Camping Club so thanks again!

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2018 17:51

Posted on 14/09/2018 17:51

Simon, there are numerous organisations that can grant exemption for 5 vans (meaning planning permission is not needed unless you plan to install HS or erect buildings). I think you will find a list on the Natural England website. You would, though, need to find the Welsh equivalent.

CholseyGrange replied on 15/09/2018 18:10

Posted on 15/09/2018 18:10

Simon.  Delighted you are thinking of setting up a CL.  The Club needs more!   

I help to manage the CL Owners Group.  We are 400+ CL Owners up and down the country.   I

have run a CL for 7 years and would be very happy to provide some guidance, particularly from the viewpoint on whether you are likely to make a return on your investment.  This is not always a consideration for CL Owners, and I know a number that (by my calculations) must be running at a loss. 

Feel free to contact me at ted.howardjones@gmail.com  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook