Scottish Borders CL/CS's?

Pilgrimphil replied on 01/05/2018 15:43

Posted on 01/05/2018 15:43

We are looking for suitable CL/CS type sites in the Scottish Borders area to give us access to Cheviots, Ettrick Forest & the Tweedsmuir Hills.

We are aware that there are main sites for both clubs in this area but would prefer a smaller type site.

Our main requirement for the sites would be hardstanding & electric.

Any suggestions/recommendation would be gratefully received.

PilgrimPhil

Tinwheeler replied on 01/05/2018 16:55

Posted on 01/05/2018 16:55

Nelliethehooker's your man for this, Phil. I’m sure he'll be along later.

eurortraveller replied on 01/05/2018 18:06

Posted on 01/05/2018 18:06

Here's a small site with 16 pitches at Kirk Yetholm - top end of the Pennine Way. I think they have some hard pitches.

nelliethehooker replied on 02/05/2018 20:09

Posted on 02/05/2018 20:09

There are not a lot, I would also suggest The Bairnkine near Jedbugh. Springlee near Melrose looks fine but we've not stopped there.

For The Cheviots you might consider saying in Northumberland. There used to be a CL close by the CC's River Breamish site which is a commercial site now Low Hedgeley Farm, which was highly recommended. http://www.lowhedgeley.co.uk/

Pilgrimphil replied on 03/05/2018 11:55

Posted on 03/05/2018 11:55

Thanks for those suggestions.

We have actually stayed at The Bairnkine before in Oct 2015. It was used as a base to access Kirk Yetholm to be able to walk part of the start [or finish!] of the Pennine Way. I was aware of the commercial site in the village & that could be a good option if we return to that specific area.

I was more interested in accessing The Cheviots from the south. There is a large site called Clennell Hall at Alwinton which would suit but the £28 per night was a bit offputting [just the principle!] but we may have to “bite the bullet” on that one!

The search will continue!

PilgrimPhil

Pilgrimphil replied on 04/05/2018 16:15

Posted on 04/05/2018 16:15

Change of plan!

We have decided to just concentrate on The Cheviots this trip.

So we are at Kirkfield Caravan Site in Town Yetholm – 5 nights

Edinburgh C & MC site for the Tattoo – 4 nights

Low Hedgeley Farm in Powburn to finish – 5 nights.

At least we can walk straight from the site at Town Yetholm but will have to move the van to get closer when at Powburn

A good compromise.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

PilgrimPhil

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook