Route to Whitby

nelliethehooker replied on 07/07/2019 21:06

Posted on 07/07/2019 21:06

Do you mean Abbey View CL. It does depend where you are coming from in Linclonshire, but if anywhere near Lincoln itself the use A15 up to M 180 Jnct 4, head east then off at Jnct onto A15 again, over Humber Bridge, A1105 east to join A63 then A165 signed Bridlington. Follow to Scarborough, bypass town onto A171 to Whitby then follow instruction in Site Directory.

Wherenext replied on 07/07/2019 21:22

Posted on 07/07/2019 21:22

Perfect instruction from Nellie.

When entering site swing out a bit. Seen much worse but you'll be slightly cutting back on yourself to enter the CL field. We were there last month. A well run CL.

richardandros replied on 08/07/2019 05:56

Posted on 07/07/2019 21:22 by Wherenext

Perfect instruction from Nellie.

When entering site swing out a bit. Seen much worse but you'll be slightly cutting back on yourself to enter the CL field. We were there last month. A well run CL.

Posted on 08/07/2019 05:56

I'm sorry, but living in the area, I have to disagree.  The A1105 east doesn't join the A63 (other than by some convoluted route) - 1105 west does (and then A63 east) but that would mean picking up the A165 in the middle of Hull and towing all the way through Hull, which would be a nightmare.

A far better route would be to come off the Humber Bridge and take the A164 towards Beverley. At Jock's Lodge interchange just before Beverley, take the A1079 towards York and at the next roundabout take the A1035 (Dog Kennel Lane) , turn right at the next roundabout towards Beverley and  continue to follow the A1035 on the northern by-pass around Beverley. You will eventually come to another roundabout SP Hornsea and Bridlington - turn left and continue on A1035 until you meet the A165 at White Cross roundabout. Continue on A165 until you come to the  Carnaby roundabout - turn left past the Carnaby Industrial Estate and then right onto the A164 Follow A164 until it again joins up with the A165.  This way, you avoid going through the centre of Bridlington.

Follow the A165 towards Scarborough.  Now, you have two choices - either go through the middle of Scarborough to pick up the A171 to Whitby - or do as I do:

On the A165 you will come to a Pet Store called Pets R Wright.  Turn left here towards Muston (I think it's SP Malton).  Follow the A1039 until you come to the roundabout with the A64 at Staxton.  A64 towards Scarbro' but turn off towards Seamer at the first little roundabout,  Follow the B1261 towards East Ayton and at the mini roundabout, there, turn right onto Racecourse Rd (A170) which takes you around the top end of Scarborough. Follow the Whitby signs and eventually you will come onto the A171 by Scarborough Hospital and will have avoided the centre of Scarborough.

My detailed instructions probably sound complicated, but they're not and this way, you will avoid all the busy, built-up areas. It's the route I always use (albeit from Hornsea) towing a large TA caravan - with no problems.  Hope this helps.

richardandros replied on 09/07/2019 05:28

Posted on 08/07/2019 21:56 by nelliethehooker

I bow to your local knowledge, R&R. It was just the reverse of the route we took down last year without any problems.

Posted on 09/07/2019 05:28

Thanks nth.  Actually, the reverse route might be better, dependent upon time of day.  The main problem is that the A63 into Hull, whilst a dual carriageway, doesn't have a hard shoulder and accidents or breakdowns cause traffic jams on almost a daily basis. It's a big local issue. There are more 'escape' routes if it happens on the westbound carriageway, but it still isn't good.  I wouldn't dream of taking a caravan through the middle of Hull!

Going through Brid isn't too bad - but it's better to avoid it if possible but the approach into Scarborough - especially at this time of the year - can have miles of slow moving traffic - which is why I always go around. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook