POOR WI_FI

jeffnmarj replied on 27/06/2017 13:32

Posted on 27/06/2017 13:32

We have just returned from 6 days at Bunree in Scotland and unfortunately suffered the  vagaries, and inclemency  of the Scottish weather.  I pitched up in the rain, went for water in the rain, and attempted to view the Loch in the rain,  Whilst appreciating the unparalleled beauty of Scottish landscapes, my wife, who is disabled relies on a good wi-fi connection and when reading in the Caravan and Motor Home Club handbook that Bunree has Gold standard I decided to visit here. 

I would respectfully point out that the wi-fi is ABYSMAL and can hardly be relied upon especially at a cost of £10.00 per device!!!!!!   I reported the matter to the warden and I was told that they were well aware of the problem and it had been  passed over to the supplier  some Air  Angels.

All in all we enjoyed our visit to Glencoe, etc and moved over to a C.L in North Berwick for a further 6 days with better weather and a SUPERB wi-fi signal!!!!!

Jeff. Stones

Rufs replied on 27/06/2017 15:49

Posted on 27/06/2017 15:49

You can pay an annual subscription of £25 which is a cost saver if you are using lots of club sites per annum, but this is for only 1 device and  appreciate this will not improve the quality, and lots of CAMHC sites have very poor wifi, even if the signal is good it is sometimes almost impossible to log on due to such heavy usage. Personally I think WIFI should be free unless there is a guarantee of usage of a reasonable quality on all sites, but then this would encourage even more people to download movies, watch catch up TV etc, "you cannot please all of the people all of the time" John  Lydgate poet

KjellNN replied on 27/06/2017 16:33

Posted on 27/06/2017 16:33

You can use different devices, just not both at the same time.

Some sites have very poor wifi and often users are selfish and hog what is available,we often f ind it is only possible to get on line when others are asleep, or have gone out for the day

replied on 27/06/2017 16:53

Posted on 27/06/2017 16:53

Have no problem with CC wifi

Navigateur replied on 27/06/2017 17:00

Posted on 27/06/2017 16:53 by

Have no problem with CC wifi

Posted on 27/06/2017 17:00

Neither have I.   But then I use my own device to connect to a cellular network and provide more wifi connections than I have devices for.

Works fine at Bunree. Direct line of sight to cell masts on opposite side of loch.

KjellNN replied on 27/06/2017 17:36

Posted on 27/06/2017 17:00 by Navigateur

Neither have I.   But then I use my own device to connect to a cellular network and provide more wifi connections than I have devices for.

Works fine at Bunree. Direct line of sight to cell masts on opposite side of loch.

Posted on 27/06/2017 17:36

We have not purchased CC wifi this year as we have been using our 3 dongle plus router that we take when we go abroad. We bought a 12GB pre loaded SIM for £20 and have found we get a signal most places.

Coverage has improved over the years, so we may well stick with 3 in future, we can still access CT free when on Club sites,and make bookings .

Freelander359 replied on 27/06/2017 17:55

Posted on 27/06/2017 17:55

We were at Bunree early last month and spent a week there. This was our third trip. We may have been lucky but we have never had a problem with the wifi there other than during the evening when I agree it does get a bit slow. However we only ever use it for emails and browsing the internet but never downloading stuff. We have always had a lochside pitch so don't know whether that makes any difference but I can honestly say I think the £25 a year represents good value for money. I know others disagree.

SteveL replied on 27/06/2017 18:51

Posted on 27/06/2017 18:51

Gold sites we have used had very good Wifi speeds and no problems getting on. However, from what the OP says there was clearly a problem with the system, unfortunately on the 6 days they wanted to use it. Although I use the wifi and am on my third year of £25, I have noticed that any problems do take a long time to sort. In this case as the OP only purchased a week for their stay, the money should be refunded by the club.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/06/2017 21:12

Posted on 27/06/2017 21:12

We have only used two CMC sites this year so far, Morton in Marsh and Seacroft and neither has been great as far as the WiFi is concerned. Whether this is down to poor management of the system locally or just a slow connection but both those sites are near enough to towns where I imagine high speed internet is available. Do the wardens have any jurisdiction over the system on their site or do they just report on. If I have a problem with my home WiFi the first thing I do is to reset the modem. I suspect increasingly I will be using my mobile phone as a modem where the signal is strong enough and not bothering with the Club WiFi as I find it very frustrating.

David

KjellNN replied on 27/06/2017 21:37

Posted on 27/06/2017 21:37

I agree £25 for 12 months use is good value, we do usually purchase the full year, but on this trip we used 2CLs plus a C&CCsite, and had planned to stay at Aberbran, which has no wifi, so we have not bothered to purchase.

We found more sites with free wifi too, so still have over half our 3 SIM allowance left, so will use that up first.  Should be plenty left for our September trip too.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook