Payment at CLs

JoJo9 replied on 21/11/2019 15:52

Posted on 21/11/2019 15:52

We have had a caravan for twenty years, nearly always using CLs. In all that time I have never asked for a receipt. Earlier this year I paid on arrival, handing over cash. A couple of hours later the owner came back and said I had underpaid by £40. I said I had given him the correct amount as I had counted out the money into his hand. He did return the next day to say he had been wrong. I won't say it ruined the holiday but it wasn't a nice experience.  Having said that I still think most of the CL owners we have met are fantastic and do a brilliant job.

Bakers2 replied on 21/11/2019 16:55

Posted on 21/11/2019 16:55

Not a pleasant experience for you. Never thought about asking for a receipt but perhaps it's something we should all consider. Maybe the answer is electronic, PayPal, or cheque. 

Like you I think CL owners are generally great and do  a good job.

Wherenext replied on 21/11/2019 17:00

Posted on 21/11/2019 17:00

It would make you think about asking for receipts in future, wouldn't it? I must admit that I never ask for one either and have often just posted a cheque through the door or put the cash in an envelope if the owner isn't around. 

On our recent trip we saw the other side, as 2 young ladies in a smart newish PVC stopped for the night, walked the dogs in the morning, made use of the shower and toilet facilities then disappeared around 4 o'clock without paying the owner. They had booked for 2 nights but didn't bother returning. The owner had been out for most of the day but there was instructions about where to leave money if they weren't available. They hadn't bothered to telephone them either. He was going to report them to the club but said that the club didn't seem to do anything about previous non payers.

nelliethehooker replied on 21/11/2019 20:18

Posted on 21/11/2019 20:18

We have never asked for a receipt, although we have been given them on the odd occasion. We usually pay by cheque so have a receipt of sorts, but have also paid by cash and even credit card. Sorry to hear of your experience JoJo.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2019 20:28

Posted on 21/11/2019 20:28

Our experience mirrors yours Nellie. Never come across an instance such as yours Jojo, but glad it got resolved. 🙂

DavidKlyne replied on 21/11/2019 20:38

Posted on 21/11/2019 20:38

Both CL's we have used this year accepted credit cards but I imagine that is unusual but the CL's were part of a larger business which made it possible. If someone is going to question whether you have paid the right amount it should be at the point of handing over the money. I suppose there might be a situation where by CL owner could have mis calculated and charged the wrong number of nights but that would have been part of the conversation but to suggest he had been short changed two hours after the event is very strange.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 21/11/2019 20:47

Posted on 21/11/2019 20:47

The only time we've had a problem was with a CS near Verwood. I sent a deposit, and when I went to pay I'd forgotten that I'd sent it, so paid the full amount for the number of nights we were there, as requested by the owner. It was not till we got home that I realised the error.yell

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook