New Years Resolution - Spend holidays on CL's

catherinef replied on 29/12/2017 20:09

Posted on 29/12/2017 20:09

We returned to caravaning in 2015 and despite having done over 120 nights away, I'm ashamed to say we have only spent 4 nights on a CL site.  

So next year we are going to be definitely exploring more CL's especially some of those within a couple of hours from home in Wiltshire for Bank Holiday weekends.  On the list so far we have Passage Farm, where we visited in 2016 and I'm definitely going to try and get in at Greenacres as that looks a wonderful site. 

If anyone else has some other suggestions of similar excellent sites that accept dogs and have wifi I'd love to hear your ideas.

moulesy replied on 29/12/2017 21:06

Posted on 29/12/2017 21:06

Forton House near Chard, Catherine. HS or grass pitches, EHU, toilet & shower, lots of nearby dog walking. Can't remember if it had wifi but a good spot at £15 a  night when we stayed last year. smile

Johnny57 replied on 30/12/2017 10:16

Posted on 30/12/2017 10:16

Hi Catherinef from Newton Grove CL. Great to here you are considering exploring the CL network - we would be 2 hours from you.
We are on the edge of the beautiful village of South Newington in North Oxfordshire (North Cotswolds) surrounded by open countryside. Just off the A361 halfway between the market towns of Chipping Norton and Banbury or 25 minutes from the M40. The site is ideal for trips into Warwickshire (5 miles), South Northamptonshire (6 miles), Gloucestershire (10 Miles) & Buckinghamshire (12 miles), Mileage "as the crow flies"
Our CL is a private, secluded, peaceful site surrounded by mature native trees, shrubs and hedges on all sides. The site including the wooded areas extends to 1.8 acres of which the maintained grassed pitching area is 0.8 acres this includes a hard standing and allows spacious non-designated pitches. Lots more info/images etc on our website.
Our  site is a well maintained “Off Grid” site (non EHU). For “non EHU virgins “there is free use of a Solar Battery Charging Unit with 5a 240v outlets for things like charging tooth brushes, phones, computers etc. Read the very useful thread on CT forum "How to Thrive on a non EHU site" So gain your freedom and give us a try!

Our visitors have said about our site: "A Hidden Gem", "Beautiful Site", "Lovely CL", "Tranquil & Relaxing" read our visitor reviews

For booking/enquires - book on-line or email: newton.grove@btconnect.com
See our Facebook page
Regards, John Clifton
NEWTON GROVE, Barford Road, South Newington, BANBURY, OX15 4LN
E: newton.grove@btconnect.com, P: 07722 918265, W: newtongrove.co.uk
See Sites Directory 2017/2018” on page 440, entry no: 1273,

catherinef replied on 30/12/2017 10:49

Posted on 30/12/2017 10:16 by Johnny57

Hi Catherinef from Newton Grove CL. Great to here you are considering exploring the CL network - we would be 2 hours from you.
We are on the edge of the beautiful village of South Newington in North Oxfordshire (North Cotswolds) surrounded by open countryside. Just off the A361 halfway between the market towns of Chipping Norton and Banbury or 25 minutes from the M40. The site is ideal for trips into Warwickshire (5 miles), South Northamptonshire (6 miles), Gloucestershire (10 Miles) & Buckinghamshire (12 miles), Mileage "as the crow flies"
Our CL is a private, secluded, peaceful site surrounded by mature native trees, shrubs and hedges on all sides. The site including the wooded areas extends to 1.8 acres of which the maintained grassed pitching area is 0.8 acres this includes a hard standing and allows spacious non-designated pitches. Lots more info/images etc on our website.
Our  site is a well maintained “Off Grid” site (non EHU). For “non EHU virgins “there is free use of a Solar Battery Charging Unit with 5a 240v outlets for things like charging tooth brushes, phones, computers etc. Read the very useful thread on CT forum "How to Thrive on a non EHU site" So gain your freedom and give us a try!

Our visitors have said about our site: "A Hidden Gem", "Beautiful Site", "Lovely CL", "Tranquil & Relaxing" read our visitor reviews

For booking/enquires - book on-line or email: newton.grove@btconnect.com
See our Facebook page
Regards, John Clifton
NEWTON GROVE, Barford Road, South Newington, BANBURY, OX15 4LN
E: newton.grove@btconnect.com, P: 07722 918265, W: newtongrove.co.uk
See Sites Directory 2017/2018” on page 440, entry no: 1273,

Posted on 30/12/2017 10:49

What a beautiful site!  We did run off EHU earlier this year when the 240V went down on our new Caravan, I'd need to convince hubby to give it a whirl without power.  

Takethedogalong replied on 30/12/2017 13:48

Posted on 29/12/2017 20:09 by catherinef

We returned to caravaning in 2015 and despite having done over 120 nights away, I'm ashamed to say we have only spent 4 nights on a CL site.  

So next year we are going to be definitely exploring more CL's especially some of those within a couple of hours from home in Wiltshire for Bank Holiday weekends.  On the list so far we have Passage Farm, where we visited in 2016 and I'm definitely going to try and get in at Greenacres as that looks a wonderful site. 

If anyone else has some other suggestions of similar excellent sites that accept dogs and have wifi I'd love to hear your ideas.

Posted on 30/12/2017 13:48

A good resolution C, and one I doubt you will regret. My OH has stayed on Greenacres, very nice, lovely area and welcome.

Just ask away regarding different areas, we have stayed on lots of CLs with our dogs, not always with wifi, but might be some you fancy. Others, such as Nellie are a mine of information about CLs, and you are sure to get some good recommends, and from owners as well of course. Here's two to be going on with:

Skybarn Farm, near Lincoln

Ashfield Caravan Site, North York Moors

Both brilliant for dogs, with good reliable free wifi.

If you take a look on the Caravanchat Forum, there are lots of others with good informative reviews and photographs. (Note, not the Caravan Talk Chat forum, but Caravanchat)laughing

ggregu replied on 30/12/2017 16:25

Posted on 30/12/2017 16:25

Home Farm, Somerset which is featured on the CL page of the website is a gorgeous little CL. It's run by a lovely extended family who always have a warm welcome for their visitors. It's close to Weston super Mare and about 2 miles from Sand Bay- great for dogs! It's one of my favourites which I use several times each year.

KeefySher replied on 31/12/2017 20:38

Posted on 31/12/2017 20:38

Catherine, you have just done Xmas and New Year with your newly acquired and refilled SafeFill bottle, using gas at a high rate compared to the Bank Holiday weekends over the rest of the year. Your SafeFill bottle will easily take care of your fridge (they run on gas as well as electric) and your heating (if it turns chilly on the other Bank Holidays)  and hot water. Your solar panel will keep your leisure battery topped up sufficiently to run your mobile phone for the internet and your data plan on 3or4g will take care of the needs of hubby surely, you are on holiday after all.

You could always power a generator from your SafeFill bottle to recharge your electric toys if absolutely necessary.

CL's have reviews just like main sites, by members. We read them to gauge things and always leave a review. Not found any other than excellent for our needs. As with main sites, popular CL's fill up at Bank Holidays, so get booking.

Tell hubby you're booked and he can stay at home and use his connected toys if he wants. kiss

CholseyGrange replied on 08/01/2018 17:04

Posted on 08/01/2018 17:04

Hi Catherine

We should be less than 2 hours from you, we welcome dogs, have free (and fast WiFi) and possibly some of the best views in southern England (well that's what people tell us! - we don't like to leave here!).

If you like walking, you'll be well, served by walks direct from the CL itself (2 pre-mapped).  If you're a 'foodie' we are just 10 minutes from some of the 'Michelin Starred' pubs frequently covered by the press (such as the Hand and Flowers in Marlow run by Tom Kerridge).  If you like National Trust properties we are surrounded by some of the best in the country.  For children we are in striking distance of Legoland, and if you want to visit London, you can do so easily on the civilised Chiltern Line from High Wycombe.  

You can book on-line too. £17/night all in.  3 night min stay for bank hols.  Book early as we are always full!

Oh, and if you don't see any Red Kites from your van, we'll return your pitch fee in full!

Best Ted & Jackie

www.cholseygrange.co.uk 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook