Nelliethehooker advice please

thebells replied on 01/03/2019 21:48

Posted on 01/03/2019 21:48

I have noticed that you seem to have already been to every CL that we plan to visit; so wondered if you could give some advice, (your reviews are excellent by the way😊). We are off to Monks Farm Sneaton on 7th March and are wondering about eating at The Wilson Arms on the Friday evening whilst there-did you eat there at all? We're going to The Hare and Hounds at Hawsker on the Saturday  (we'd normally stay at Swan Farm cl but the hardstanding pitches at Monks Farm have seduced us!)

We are also off to Gartfairn CL in June/July as part of a big Scottish tour and wondered if you could remember any pubs (or the name of the hotel at Balmaha) to recommend in that area?! (Again your review is very useful in terms of local shops and access to site so you've already answered those questions !).

Takethedogalong replied on 01/03/2019 22:14

Posted on 01/03/2019 22:14

Nellie writes great reviews, politely puts the pro’s and cons, and gives lots of extra details. Even the Club have taken note and started to give nearest Supermarket in handbook!  Nice one Nellie!πŸ˜πŸ‘

nelliethehooker replied on 01/03/2019 22:18

Posted on 01/03/2019 22:18

We don't often eat out so I'm unable to say what the food is like at The Wilson Arms, but reading others reviews it would appear that they are good, and large!! From Gartfairn you can walk down to Balmaha where there are a couple of pubs which seem popular but I think that they might be rather pricey as it's a very popular destination. You might be better heading to Denman where there are a couple of inns.

Thanks for the comments regarding my reviews. I try to put in them the soft of information that I want from a review, and not just a few platitudes. 

thebells replied on 02/03/2019 08:24

Posted on 01/03/2019 22:14 by Takethedogalong

Nellie writes great reviews, politely puts the pro’s and cons, and gives lots of extra details. Even the Club have taken note and started to give nearest Supermarket in handbook!  Nice one Nellie!πŸ˜πŸ‘

Posted on 02/03/2019 08:24

I completely agree! It's a definite art form; whenever I list the "cons" it always sounds like I'm just being mean! Maybe the club should employ Nellie to write descriptions of all the cls πŸ˜€

thebells replied on 02/03/2019 08:27

Posted on 01/03/2019 22:18 by nelliethehooker

We don't often eat out so I'm unable to say what the food is like at The Wilson Arms, but reading others reviews it would appear that they are good, and large!! From Gartfairn you can walk down to Balmaha where there are a couple of pubs which seem popular but I think that they might be rather pricey as it's a very popular destination. You might be better heading to Denman where there are a couple of inns.

Thanks for the comments regarding my reviews. I try to put in them the soft of information that I want from a review, and not just a few platitudes.

Posted on 02/03/2019 08:27

Many thanks for your help; I'll definitely make a note of Denman.

nelliethehooker replied on 02/03/2019 14:59

Posted on 02/03/2019 08:27 by thebells

Many thanks for your help; I'll definitely make a note of Denman.

Posted on 02/03/2019 14:59

That was a predictive text error, tb. It was meant to read Drymen, which you drive through on the way to the site. A word of warning...the road down to Balmaha gets very busy on a fine weekend or during school holidays.

KjellNN replied on 06/03/2019 21:48

Posted on 01/03/2019 21:48 by thebells

I have noticed that you seem to have already been to every CL that we plan to visit; so wondered if you could give some advice, (your reviews are excellent by the way😊). We are off to Monks Farm Sneaton on 7th March and are wondering about eating at The Wilson Arms on the Friday evening whilst there-did you eat there at all? We're going to The Hare and Hounds at Hawsker on the Saturday  (we'd normally stay at Swan Farm cl but the hardstanding pitches at Monks Farm have seduced us!)

We are also off to Gartfairn CL in June/July as part of a big Scottish tour and wondered if you could remember any pubs (or the name of the hotel at Balmaha) to recommend in that area?! (Again your review is very useful in terms of local shops and access to site so you've already answered those questions !).

Posted on 06/03/2019 21:48

We stay within 20 minutes of Balmaha, we have twice eaten at the Oak Tree Inn, and our daughter's "hens party" was based there so OH has tried the rooms and the breakfast.

We had a good experience, the food is good and my impression of the price was that it was pretty middling, see their menu on their website...

https://www.theoaktreeinn.co.uk/food-drink/

It is very popular so you would need to book at weekends

thebells replied on 12/03/2019 21:27

Posted on 12/03/2019 21:27

Just back from Monks Farm and it was fab: what a great site. Excellent fish and chips for 2 at The Wilson Arms along with 4 pints of cider which came to £38, so very happy with thatπŸ˜€

Thank you Nellie and KjellNN for the advice about our Gartfairn CL  trip, which we'll definitely take!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook