Minimum night booking

Cherokee2015 replied on 30/08/2020 22:58

Posted on 30/08/2020 22:58

Has anyone else noticed the increasing amount of CL's stipulating a minimum booking of 3 (or more) nights.  The last few I’ve looked at near us for a weekend have been ruled out due to anomaly.  

I realise that it’s entirely up to the owners how they run their sites, but I feel that they are excluding the bread and butter visitors in favour of those who book for longer (but maybe only once or twice) whereas local working folk (Weekenders) may visit numerous times per year.  

I’m not usually one to moan but it’s quite frustrating and seems to be newer CLs although a few older ones too!   I hope it’s not a sign of things to come otherwise we’ll never get away 🙁

Tinwheeler replied on 30/08/2020 23:18

Posted on 30/08/2020 23:18

That’s my gripe with C&CC as well. It flies in the face of the ethos of touring☹️.

This year the CLs may do well despite that restriction but in future they could be glad to see us one or two night stayers if we feel willing to give them a second chance. The customer is king although sometimes you'd not think so.

richardandros replied on 31/08/2020 08:10

Posted on 31/08/2020 08:10

Actually, I have some sympathy for CL and CS owners doing this. Especially of late, there seems to be an increase in the incidence of ‘no shows’ - certainly on the sites we have been using since 4 July. Even when deposits have been taken (and this isn’t always the case), some people don’t even have the decency to let the owner know they’ve changed their mind.

Must be very frustrating for someone trying to run a business on marginal profits.

JVB66 replied on 31/08/2020 08:31

Posted on 31/08/2020 08:31

It may well be that the CL/CS owners are now realising that most people want a "few days" away and the most popular periods are weekends ,which as posted on here numerous times,  that it is "impossible?" to get on to sites because one night is not available 

peedee replied on 31/08/2020 11:33

Posted on 31/08/2020 11:33

That’s my gripe with C&CC as well. It flies in the face of the ethos of touring

Thats easy to work around especially as it only applies in peak periods and weekends and even then its only 2 nights at the majority of sites. Only at 7 sites is it more than 2 nights minimum and even then it is only in peak periods.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 31/08/2020 11:40

Posted on 31/08/2020 11:33 by peedee

That’s my gripe with C&CC as well. It flies in the face of the ethos of touring

Thats easy to work around especially as it only applies in peak periods and weekends and even then its only 2 nights at the majority of sites. Only at 7 sites is it more than 2 nights minimum and even then it is only in peak periods.

peedee

Posted on 31/08/2020 11:40

And some still complain the cc system is "difficult to work withsurprised"

peedee replied on 31/08/2020 12:08

Posted on 31/08/2020 11:40 by JVB66

And some still complain the cc system is "difficult to work withsurprised"

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:08

It is when you cannot even get a booking. So you just go elsewhere as you would if you encounter minimum night bookings. For a single night stop over in the UK I wouldn't even consider full fat sites/pitches.

peedee

vbfg replied on 31/08/2020 12:17

Posted on 31/08/2020 08:10 by richardandros

Actually, I have some sympathy for CL and CS owners doing this. Especially of late, there seems to be an increase in the incidence of ‘no shows’ - certainly on the sites we have been using since 4 July. Even when deposits have been taken (and this isn’t always the case), some people don’t even have the decency to let the owner know they’ve changed their mind.

Must be very frustrating for someone trying to run a business on marginal profits.

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:17

You are correct as I phoned to book a CL near Garstang in late July, just prior to my visit.  I didn't pay a deposit as I am not sure how to pay via bank transfer by phone or internet so asked if I could pay when I got there, which he said was ok then rang me later to make sure that I was going to turn up. He told me that quite a few people on Facebook have mentioned that they book the same dates at more than one site at the same time, decide which one to go to then just don't bother to turn up at the other site or sites that they have booked.  I HAVE seen a few CLs which state a minimum of 2 or 3 nights (usually at bank holiday) but not many.

JVB66 replied on 31/08/2020 12:51

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:08 by peedee

It is when you cannot even get a booking. So you just go elsewhere as you would if you encounter minimum night bookings. For a single night stop over in the UK I wouldn't even consider full fat sites/pitches.

peedee

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:51

Apart from long journeys   ,not many in uk ,why would a few want one night staysundecided

A few years ago now i was advised that the 1200 arr time on club sites had reduced the one night weekenders, who would arrive between 0900-1000 on a Saturday and expect to leave late on a Sunday undecided

Cls/CSs may be experiencing the problem that has made a min two night stays

replied on 31/08/2020 12:55

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:51 by JVB66

Apart from long journeys   ,not many in uk ,why would a few want one night staysundecided

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 31/08/2020 13:00

Posted on 31/08/2020 12:55 by

Almost all mine in the last 20 years  have been 1 night shops to and from ports. Just now cancelled Morn Hill and Putts corner.

Posted on 31/08/2020 13:00

arriving late?in the day with an early dep next morning part of a long journey?

were your cancelations one nighters over a weekend

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook