Matting trials on CL's.

JayOutdoors replied on 29/12/2017 09:29

Posted on 29/12/2017 09:29

Re recent discussion in Motorhomes section - CMC in the MMM.  Aspenshaw the OP posts “According to the article, the CMC is looking at its CLs, a number of which are trialling matting that can help driving of grass.” Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any info for members telling us which are the trial sites?  I have emailed HO but have only received the automatic reply - no info as yet.

Oneputt replied on 29/12/2017 10:11

Posted on 29/12/2017 10:11

Come on Jay the CC is in the leisure industry so no one will be around until after the holidays, I.e. 3 Jan 18winklaughing

Takethedogalong replied on 29/12/2017 14:13

Posted on 29/12/2017 14:13

There are some CLs that already use plastic matting and grow grass through, we have used one of two in the past. Just needs identifying on the CL facilities search to assist members. A good idea if more CLs want to offer a longer season, and not just for MHs. 

Fisherman replied on 29/12/2017 15:14

Posted on 29/12/2017 15:14

Nothing new here. Colin Jones who owned Brecon  Beacns previously had them installed and the CC have retained them. Most pitches just after the entrance barrier are thus created. Its a good idea and fairly simple and cheap to install.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/12/2017 16:30

Posted on 29/12/2017 15:14 by Fisherman

Nothing new here. Colin Jones who owned Brecon  Beacns previously had them installed and the CC have retained them. Most pitches just after the entrance barrier are thus created. Its a good idea and fairly simple and cheap to install.

Posted on 29/12/2017 16:30

Fisherman

Can I ask when was the last time you visited the Brecons Beacons site? We were there in September and I could find no trace of matting being used on the grass pitches and I can't see anything in the site description. I suppose it's possible they are well disguised but usually any form of reinforcement is obvious, particularly towards the end of the season. 

David

nelliethehooker replied on 29/12/2017 20:16

Posted on 29/12/2017 20:16

Jay, Ian Kelly at Birch Hill Farm has pitches with plastic matting. Why not contact him and ask? Belle Vue Farm, Guilden Sutton, Chester may be another that has similar.

Fisherman replied on 30/12/2017 16:17

Posted on 30/12/2017 16:17

Yes they are well disguised/ matured and properly bedded in. As you head out past the reception through the barrier strait in front those on the right hand side are matted. Yes I was there this year.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/12/2017 16:33

Posted on 30/12/2017 16:33

Splash Farm CL, under Matlock, actually near Cromford, has plastic matting underpinning the grass pitches. We were there last Winter, and while pitches were worn in places because it was extremely wet, we had no problems whatsoever driving on and off daily, no sinking in of wheels at all. Lovely CL as well, one we return to quite regular.

JayOutdoors replied on 15/01/2018 08:37

Posted on 15/01/2018 08:37

The following is the info I asked for from HO via email which may be of help to other members.  

The six sites who kindly trialled the vehicle matting to assist getting on and off pitches in bad weather were:

Town End Cottage
CA11 0AW
Cholsey Grange
HP14 3XT
Ford Farm
SO42 7TB
Good Life @ Blaenllan
SA45 9RS
Green Gables
BS16 1SS
Hollington End Farm
DE6 2AU

We got some favourable responses and have fed this back to all our owners.  We are looking to see whether it is a product that we can source at a favourable rate for CL Owners and will be in touch with our owners again in their next newsletter.

The matting is with all the Club Sites who do not have hard standing for the same purpose.  It is not a product that is in position permanently but used ad hoc when required.

brue replied on 15/01/2018 08:47

Posted on 15/01/2018 08:47

Probably the matting we were offered at club site  Bladon a couple of years ago, very useful. It certainly helped. Thanks for your reply.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook