Last Minute Cancellation

Mr H replied on 02/10/2020 08:34

Posted on 02/10/2020 08:34

We booked a 5 night stay at a CL. All packed up an ready to go, when the weather dramatically changed to gale force winds very heavy rain and some foggy patches. After much deliberation we decided to cancel our trip as the forecast was the same for the duration. My question is should we pay for the time booked, or agree to visit in the very near future? The site manager said we did not need to pay them and that all their bookings had been cancelled. We really feel bad about this as it is their living. What should we do?

JVB66 replied on 02/10/2020 08:58

Posted on 02/10/2020 08:58

Many years ago we were in your situation(,not weather related)the owners would not accept any payment for our stay ,but we sent them a cheque for half the fee, we then recieved an Interflora bunch of flowers in return,laughing the  CL we used is now closed they retired and  they are no longer alivefrown

Bakers2 replied on 02/10/2020 09:00

Posted on 02/10/2020 09:00

Personally I'd offer something but at the very least I'd rebook for when the weather is kinder, its obviously somewhere you wanted to visit.

Seems like not travelling and then staying is a very sensible decision yourself by other users or the CL owner depending on who cancelled their bookings.

Stay safe.

eurortraveller replied on 02/10/2020 09:36

Posted on 02/10/2020 09:36

Is cancelling a CL any different from cancelling a restaurant booking, an MOT test, a hairdresser or a dental appointment?  Would you offer to pay any of those others? Just phone and explain and rearrange the date .  

JVB66 replied on 02/10/2020 09:42

Posted on 02/10/2020 09:36 by eurortraveller

Is cancelling a CL any different from cancelling a restaurant booking, an MOT test, a hairdresser or a dental appointment?  Would you offer to pay any of those others? Just phone and explain and rearrange the date .  

Posted on 02/10/2020 09:42

I think it a bit diferent when at short notice out of only five ,bookings we cancellundecided,

Could be with that attitude and NAs more are taking deposits frown

peedee replied on 02/10/2020 10:22

Posted on 02/10/2020 10:22

I'm honouring my booking, just waiting for the worst of the wind to blow over but it will be a wet weekend. I was torn on whether to cancel but considered it too unfair on the CL oiwner without offering to pay for the stay. If you are going to pay for the stay, you might as well go and make the most of it. There is no such thing as bad weather only poor clothing. I hope to at least get some walking done and to see friends. 

peedee

Bakers2 replied on 02/10/2020 10:48

Posted on 02/10/2020 10:22 by peedee

I'm honouring my booking, just waiting for the worst of the wind to blow over but it will be a wet weekend. I was torn on whether to cancel but considered it too unfair on the CL oiwner without offering to pay for the stay. If you are going to pay for the stay, you might as well go and make the most of it. There is no such thing as bad weather only poor clothing. I hope to at least get some walking done and to see friends. 

peedee

Posted on 02/10/2020 10:48

If you feel it's safe to travel and you'll be happy on site I agree with you  - go ahead. I agree about the right clothes but in this instance I think it's more about being safe to tow or drive a high sided vehicle.

Enjoy your trip.

dunelm replied on 02/10/2020 10:55

Posted on 02/10/2020 10:55

"There is no such thing as bad weather only poor clothing."

This is a generalisation/cliche and not always true. It is certainly not relevant to considering whether or not to tow in gale force winds. Personally, I don't think there is anything to consider in such conditions. Why would anyone even think of doing so? As you posted, you will wait for the worst of the wind to blow over.

Mr H replied on 02/10/2020 15:03

Posted on 02/10/2020 15:03

Thank you for your responses. I think I should explain that we had a major incident a few years ago resulting in the caravan becoming adrift and colliding with a car. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but it is not something easily forgotten by both of us. So being in our mid seventies we err on the side of caution. We will at the earliest opportunity re-book, and think of a token gift as they have turned down payment. Finally, before someone suggests we should give up caravanning you should know we tour a lot throughout Britain and France each year.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook