It Pays to Read Reviews

JohnM20 replied on 24/10/2017 11:37

Posted on 24/10/2017 11:37

Searching for a CL for next April that had electric and hard standings we thought, reading the club directory that we had found the ideal location. It had more facilities than we needed, it was in the right area, it was a good size and the price was acceptable although not cheap. I checked it out on Google Earth and from what I could see it looked OK with good access and close to, but not actually on, a main road. Perfect we thought - until I read the reviews online.

There was only one that had anything good to say about the CL, all the others were scathing about it likening it to a smelly, untidy rubbish dump. Apparently there are only three hard standings even though it claimed to have five. The other two outfits had to park on a roadway if they wanted hard. At least one visitor said they left after only one night because of the state of the place.

Were we glad to have read the reviews before booking? You bet we were.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/10/2017 12:13

Posted on 24/10/2017 12:13

Clearly there were a few visitors who didn't heed your advice. In 30 plus years of touring, mainly at CLs, I have never come across one that I could remotely describe as a smelly, untidy rubbish dump. One or two haven't quite met our personal needs, mainly due to road noise, but that is just us. Others might not have been bothered. 

We always check out reviews, but we are canny enough to read between the lines of a few reviewers as well. Folks are very brave voicing opinions online, sometimes rather unfairly.

You will of course now have a lot of folks wondering which CL you didn't visit, how could it be so bad? 

Wherenext replied on 29/10/2017 11:30

Posted on 29/10/2017 11:30

Another one who likes reviews. We are also readers between the lines but do rely on a few regular contributors (not all of them on CT) whose reviews have proven to be reliable.

Must admit that we have not stayed on many that we could describe as the OP has but there have been a few that we wouldn't return to for various personal reasons.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/10/2017 12:51

Posted on 29/10/2017 12:51

Agree. Some members put together very good, informative reviews, truthful if things don't suit, but without a personal rant. One person's perfect CL could so easily be someone else's nightmare. It's all about choice and preferences.

Fisherman replied on 29/10/2017 15:21

Posted on 29/10/2017 15:21

I also ignore those gushing ones about the owners ( first  name terms).What  I want is a truthful assessment of the site, accessibility and what there is locally. That's what I give as anything else is subjective

Wherenext replied on 29/10/2017 16:05

Posted on 29/10/2017 16:05

We've stayed on a few that we've yet to meet the owners, even on repeat visits, and have posted a cheque through the letterbox when leaving. 

Not a top priority for us but quite willing to chew the cud if applicable.😀

Takethedogalong replied on 29/10/2017 17:38

Posted on 29/10/2017 17:38

When you use a site on a regular basis, say four five times a year, over dozen or so years, you do tend to end up on first name terms and perhaps swop the odd Christmas card! But likewise, we have done the post it through the letterbox as well!laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 29/10/2017 19:00

Posted on 29/10/2017 15:21 by Fisherman

I also ignore those gushing ones about the owners ( first  name terms).What  I want is a truthful assessment of the site, accessibility and what there is locally. That's what I give as anything else is subjective

Posted on 29/10/2017 19:00

Agree whole heartily, and what I too attempt to do, although I may include the owners name if we've visited a few times and have talked to the owner on a number of occasions. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook