Hogging taps

zscale replied on 27/01/2016 15:50

Posted on 27/01/2016 15:50

I've stayed on several CLs this last year and I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with some caravanners who think they have exclusive rights to the water tap and semi-permanently connect their hose to it either directly feeding into their van or into a barrel fitted with a ball valve. Fine on a fully serviced pitch, not so great when it's the only tap to be shared by everyone. I'm getting tired of having to turn the tap off, disconnect their hose, fill my water carrier and then reconnect them. It's sorely tempting to leave them disconnected but I suppose that might create issues with water heaters and pumps running dry.

Am I the only one to have come across this issue? It certainly seems to be getting more widespread. I think this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but the CL owners seem to just want an easy life and not do anything about it.

rogher replied on 27/01/2016 16:10

Posted on 27/01/2016 16:10

They do not seem to have thought about others. If they want to Tee into a communal supply they should do so in a way that it can continue to be used by others. I wonder what they’d do if another member had already connected up?

tombar replied on 27/01/2016 19:00

Posted on 27/01/2016 19:00

I've stayed on several CLs this last year and I'm beginning to get a bit fed up with some caravanners who think they have exclusive rights to the water tap and semi-permanently connect their hose to it either directly feeding into their van or into a barrel fitted with a ball valve. Fine on a fully serviced pitch, not so great when it's the only tap to be shared by everyone. I'm getting tired of having to turn the tap off, disconnect their hose, fill my water carrier and then reconnect them. It's sorely tempting to leave them disconnected but I suppose that might create issues with water heaters and pumps running dry.

Am I the only one to have come across this issue? It certainly seems to be getting more widespread. I think this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but the CL owners seem to just want an easy life and not do anything about it.

I would certainly not reconnect.  I would ask them politely to first keep it unconnected, but if they don't then so be it. When I come to use it, it doesn't get reconnected.   Simples

Hakinbush replied on 27/01/2016 19:20

Posted on 27/01/2016 19:20

Take said pipe off, fill aquaroll up then replace said pipe,simples...lifes too short.

nelliethehooker replied on 27/01/2016 19:50

Posted on 27/01/2016 19:50

Take said pipe off, fill aquaroll up then replace said pipe,simples...lifes too short.

I agree, but some people do only think about themselves and no-one else. Must admit that I've not see it on all the CL's we've used but do not doubt that it happens.

ValDa replied on 28/01/2016 07:38

Posted on 28/01/2016 07:38

I would have a word with them - and if they didn't take notice then I'd have a word with the owner of the CL or CS. If that still didn't work then I might be tempted to find a small animal to knaw through their hosepipe in the middle of the night?Wink

Or are you a secret 'pollster' conducting a survey about the type of replies you get on this forum and others.....................? Cool

Metheven replied on 28/01/2016 11:29

Posted on 28/01/2016 11:29

Surely there can be nothing left for the inventive mind, haven't we run out of these story's yet. Never seen it yet and I use CL's 95% of the time, but if I came across it I would disconnect, fill my aquaroll and trundle away.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook