Grey Water disposal

stephen p replied on 18/05/2017 21:49

Posted on 18/05/2017 21:49

We have just returned from a long weekend staying on a lovely CL.  I was concerned however that there was no proper provision for disposal of grey water, the grey water disposal point was the same as the chemical waste disposal.

I have not come across this situation before and it seems a waste of good (if not a bit grey) water which would have been more usefully emptied into a hedgerow. 

I was wondering if this is considered acceptable!!

It also leads on to considering where the chemical waste is going, It would cost the owners a fortune to keep having the chemical waste tank pumped out because it has been filled with grey water.

EmilysDad replied on 18/05/2017 22:01

Posted on 18/05/2017 22:01

When we stayed at a CL in your neck of the woods, the owner told us specifically to dump grey waste in the hedge row otherwise we would be filling his sceptic tank that he pays to have emptied.

You should have asked. wink

Boff replied on 18/05/2017 22:29

Posted on 18/05/2017 22:29

I agree dump it in a hedge.   But people will tell that doing that is irresponsible and terrible.  This is because they know the difference between black and grey waste. 

Vulcan replied on 18/05/2017 22:41

Posted on 18/05/2017 22:41

I use many CL's where grey water is put in the sceptic tank.It is not a question of whether it is acceptable, if the CL owner does not want grey water emptied into the hedge for any reason then if he has a sceptic tank there is no alternative, if it isn't made clear anywhere always ask.

richardandros replied on 19/05/2017 06:11

Posted on 19/05/2017 06:11

We were staying on a CS near Kirbymoorside, last year and when the owner saw me setting up the Wastemaster, he specifically asked me not to do that - and run a waste pipe into the nearby hedge, instead. On the other hand, when I suggested the same thing to the owner of another site, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was a definite 'no-no'.

ocsid replied on 19/05/2017 07:20

Posted on 19/05/2017 07:20

I have been on 5 van sites where they don't want you dumping grey water into the hedge because it encourages rats.

Re disposing of grey water this way or that way being "acceptable!!", then surely in this case the judge of that is the site owners?

If the owners have a septic rather than cess tank system, then the grey water with the food laden kitchen waste water, is "grist to the mill" for the nucleus of bacteria these need? Here, what is then not "acceptable" is the use of non biological loo additives.

Boff replied on 19/05/2017 08:52

Posted on 19/05/2017 08:52

The correct answer is of course to do what the land owner tells you to do.  Rats are just a likely to be attracted to the water than any food particles.  Anyway what do people put down their sinks we never have anything bigger than a few grains of rice and the odd coffee ground.  

I know very little about septic tanks, except we have friends who have one in Spain, they tell me that they can't use biological washing detergents because they can destroy the tanks eco system.   

JohnM20 replied on 19/05/2017 09:17

Posted on 19/05/2017 09:17

I can't recall any CL that I have been to where I have been requested to put the grey water down a drain, it has always been disposed of under a hedge or around a tree etc. According to numerous gardening gurus, there is nothing wrong with grey water for the garden so not really any different to a hedgerow. I always consider that if I would be happy to put my hand in the water it presents no problem.

As regards rats, if the tiny amount of food particles are thought to attract them then they must be present already. Personally I have never seen any.

In France most site owners are only too pleased that water is disposed of around trees, bushes and plants because of the frequently more arid conditions that in the UK. Finding a suitable drain, particularly for something like a wastemaster, is usually quite difficult. Most drains are beneath the water taps but are usually not much more than a soak away for the small spillage when the taps are being used.

Thornsett replied on 19/05/2017 09:17

Posted on 19/05/2017 09:17

I ask the CL owner if it's not obvious - as Boff mentions. I find the owner comes 'a knocking for the fees before I have to empty my waste tank. I'm also wary of letting the waste tank fill to 100litres before emptying because that could cause a tidal surge when emptied in the hedgerow!

Cherokee2015 replied on 19/05/2017 10:41

Posted on 19/05/2017 10:41

Most of the CL's we visit ask for us to use the hedgerow or plants/trees around the site.   The main reason is that if the septic is filled with grey water it will require emptying more frequently which is an additional cost to the CL owner.    It times of low rainfall, watering the vegetation is helpful. 

As long as it's not on the pitch, I don't' see a problem.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook