Damage to our CL field by white BMW 4x4

CornishChicken replied on 28/12/2017 15:21

Posted on 28/12/2017 15:21

We have two very considerate caravans/motorhomes staying with us at the moment. They've kept to the hardstanding and the grass was looking lovely. Today a white BMW 4x4   came in (I have their number plate thanks to our very good CCTV system!) and drove right through the middle of the field leaving an awful mess! They were lucky they didn't get stuck.  It says in the Handbook to call at the farmhouse before driving down but they didn't.  The hardstanding is there for a reason!  Could the owners of the vehicle please contact us.    

Mandy Pollard, Burn Farm CL, Bridgerule, Devon.

Tinwheeler replied on 28/12/2017 15:29

Posted on 28/12/2017 15:29

Do you have their membership number, C/Chicken? If so, hopefully the club will be able to help.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/12/2017 15:40

Posted on 28/12/2017 15:40

Mandy

I have removed the registration number from your post because of member privacy. I suspect your appeal to them to contact you might well fall on deaf ears? You don't actually say whether they stayed, I imagined not? Did they turn up on spec or did they book? As TW suggests it would perhaps be best to pursue this direct with the Club although without a name and a membership number I suspect it might be difficult for the Club to help. It depends whether registration numbers can be traced through the database. If damage has occurred you might be able to trace them through the DVLA.

David

CornishChicken replied on 28/12/2017 15:51

Posted on 28/12/2017 15:51

They drove in, caused the damage and drove out without stopping so no name or membership number.  All I have is the car registration number and the CCTV footage.   They had not booked so I guess were just looking but a bit (or a lot) of consideration for our property would have been appreciated! 

Tinwheeler replied on 28/12/2017 16:23

Posted on 28/12/2017 16:23

They may not have been club members.

May I suggest some form of sign or, better still, a gate/barrier at the entrance to ensure people call at the house first could be useful?

JVB66 replied on 28/12/2017 16:25

Posted on 28/12/2017 16:25

Were they towing or solo? .if solo then i would be very wary of that type of vehicle as they may well have been "looking" for easy pickings,if towing then contact the club as they should have the reg no on their data base if a member with the make and type of caravan,

it happens on club sites without barriers as well,

rjb replied on 28/12/2017 16:36

Posted on 28/12/2017 16:36

May be full of traveller's by weekend

JVB66 replied on 28/12/2017 16:44

Posted on 28/12/2017 16:23 by Tinwheeler

They may not have been club members.

May I suggest some form of sign or, better still, a gate/barrier at the entrance to ensure people call at the house first could be useful?

Posted on 28/12/2017 16:44

Talking about gates/barriers several new anti traveller barriers have been erected at properties around Cromer in Norfolk after the problems they had earlier this year,frown

nelliethehooker replied on 28/12/2017 20:55

Posted on 28/12/2017 20:55

We frequently see solo cars driving into CLs, looking round and then just driving out again. Why can't people just stop at the entrance and walk in if they want to see what a site is like, or even better still report initially to the CL owner? 

CornishChicken replied on 29/12/2017 08:14

Posted on 28/12/2017 20:55 by nelliethehooker

We frequently see solo cars driving into CLs, looking round and then just driving out again. Why can't people just stop at the entrance and walk in if they want to see what a site is like, or even better still report initially to the CL owner? 

Posted on 29/12/2017 08:14

Exactly!  If they found us from the handbook it says call at the farmhouse before entering the field (you have to drive past the house to get to the site).  If they were just driving past and saw the CMHC sign, then calling at the farmhouse would have been the courteous thing to do!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook