CLs With Direct Access or Close to a Cycle Track

youngalan replied on 14/02/2017 09:14

Posted on 14/02/2017 09:14

I am trying to compile a list of cls with direct access or very close to a cycle track. I have tried trolling through the CL web site , but some descriptions are very vague. I know one or two from personal use, but any suggestions would be welcome and may be of use to other members.

CholseyGrange replied on 14/02/2017 09:39

Posted on 14/02/2017 09:39

Hi Youngalan - what a great idea. 

Our CL (Cholsey Grange) here in the Chilterns AONB is very popular with many types of cyclists.  

As we are in a hilly location, it's more appropriate for keen & fit road or mountainbiking fans.  We are within about 1 mile of the 'Chilterns Cycleway' which is a road-based route through lovely countryside.  For mountain-bikers we have mapped about 15 different routes directly from our CL using Bridleways and quiet lanes.  

For those looking for a flat & off-road route suitable for novices / families we recommend the 'Phoenix Trail' which is an old railway line about 10 minutes drive from our CL.  

Hope this helps.   Ted & Jackie

PS -  Will you be using Google Maps?  It's an easy way to create such a map.. I created a map for our CL and you have reminded me to add Cycling as a category!

Takethedogalong replied on 14/02/2017 10:09

Posted on 14/02/2017 10:09

Splash Farm near Cromford, Derbyshire. Access onto canal path, which links into High Peak Trail.

Ashfield Caravan Site, Lockton, North Yorks. Half mile from link trail into Dalby Forest. 

(There are dozens and dozens of CLs close to Bridlepaths and cycle networks. Easiest method we use is to pinpoint CLs we fancy on an OS map of area, then look at access and routes. We do have OS maps for areas we visit though, give contours, so you can look at gradients)

NicolaW replied on 14/02/2017 11:54

Posted on 14/02/2017 11:54

Hi Youngalan

My CL is adjacent to the Sustrans cycle path which takes you directly into the historic city of Lincoln.  From there you can pick up the Sustrans Water Railway cycle track all the way to Boston (33 miles), via Bardney and Woodhall Spa.  It has various access points along the way where you can park a car.

You can also cycle from Lincoln to Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire (approx 28 miles) using the old railway line although you can pick this trail up without going into Lincoln first.

We also have an information hut full of other walking/cycling routes and a local OS map for visitor to borrow in order to follow their own routes.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Nicola
Skybarn Farm CL

Takethedogalong replied on 14/02/2017 11:57

Posted on 14/02/2017 11:57

We took our bikes to Nicola's CL! Had a great time. Sorry Nicola, I should have mentioned your CL!

DaveandVicki replied on 14/02/2017 12:37

Posted on 14/02/2017 12:37

Brundcliffe Farm cl in Derbyshire, right on the High Peak Trail.

I think nearby Whitehouse  Farm cl also has direct access to the Tissington Trail.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/02/2017 14:18

Posted on 14/02/2017 13:34 by Richard12

We used Fenwick Trout Fishery, just outside Bodmin and a stones throw from the Camel Trail.

Posted on 14/02/2017 14:18

I was thinking of that one but couldn't remember the name. Near the Borough Arms.

Pilgrimphil replied on 14/02/2017 16:50

Posted on 14/02/2017 16:50

Whitehouse Farm at Heathcote is about 300yds from the Tissington Trail along a rural lane.

This is our review from Oct 2015 but it seems to have disappeared from the CL review!

___

It’s difficult to add too much to all the previous positive reviews for this gloriously laid back site.

An article in MMM in March 2012 had been retained due to the great review and the closeness of the Tissington & High Peak Trails plus the dales of Biggin, Wolfscote & Beresford.

We stayed 5 nights in September 2015 and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Richard & accompanying hounds were on hand to ensure that we were OK. We caught a batch of showery weather and, as the site is all grass, we were a bit concerned about tracking a 3.5T motorhome across the pristine grass. We did leave muddy grooves when we departed! So a site to be aware of the underlying ground conditions as it was quite squidgy after a few days of heavy rain.

Hartington was just over a mile away with a newsagent, general store, two pubs & a café. The Waterloo Inn at Biggin was also a short distance away via. a footpath across fields.

Whilst we were there, the Hartington Show was in action so we stopped for a while to see a traditional country fair with sheep & cattle competitions with the blood hounds that we had seen enroute along with some “duck bothering” [which was a version of sheep dog trialing!]. There was also a beer tent which was selling the local brew.

This is a site that we will return to when we can guarantee some fine weather [if that is possible!] as is superbly located for walking & biking.

We went again in Dec 2016/Jan 2017 & it is even better now as they have five hardstanding pitches

PilgrimPhil

Athel replied on 17/02/2017 15:31

Posted on 17/02/2017 15:31

Baxter Wood Farm in Durham is right on a cycle route. Seemed very popular with cyclists when we stayed there.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook