CL Terms of booking

Bazza222 replied on 14/10/2020 20:24

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:24

I have recently had to cancel a booking at a CL near Carlisle. I very stupidly paid in full in advance and had to cancel a week in advance due to my daughter being rushed to hospital with a critical delivery of her baby , who is currently in the ITU. I requested a refund as it was a week in advance and accepted that their terms state a 50% non-returnable deposit is required, but I was told they would not give any refund and I would have to lump it!  Surely there should be some control of booking conditions by the Club, with CL owners for the protection of it's members.

I welcome other members thoughts and comments.

huskydog replied on 14/10/2020 20:34

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:34

Personally I would put a family members health way above a refund ,I’d rather lose a few pounds than a member of the family 

Takethedogalong replied on 14/10/2020 20:35

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:35

CLs are free to set up there own booking, deposit and pricing regimes, independent of the Club. 

Are you saying that the CL terms stated that if you cancelled you would get 50% of your upfront payment back? Is it subject to how close to turning up you cancel?

If you cancelled before any time critical period, are they still refusing to give you 50% refund?

Asking to make sure I fully understand what the terms are before commenting.

davetommo replied on 14/10/2020 20:36

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:24 by Bazza222

I have recently had to cancel a booking at a CL near Carlisle. I very stupidly paid in full in advance and had to cancel a week in advance due to my daughter being rushed to hospital with a critical delivery of her baby , who is currently in the ITU. I requested a refund as it was a week in advance and accepted that their terms state a 50% non-returnable deposit is required, but I was told they would not give any refund and I would have to lump it!  Surely there should be some control of booking conditions by the Club, with CL owners for the protection of it's members.

I welcome other members thoughts and comments.

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:36

If I was a betting man I would bet that the CL was Dalston Leisure in Carlisle

Bazza222 replied on 14/10/2020 20:41

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:41

The site states that a 50% non refundable deposit is required on booking. Being trusting I paid all in advance, there is no mention of any time  critical period. I accept loss of the 50% deposit but am annoyed at them keeping 100%.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/10/2020 20:45

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:45

Their terms of business should state their cancellation policy and I would never pay upfront without knowing those terms.

If they have breached their own terms, I’d make the club's CL department aware of what's happened. If they have not breached them, then I’m afraid that's the way it is.

As TDA said, CLs make their own rules and conditions and it's outwith the control of the club.

Anyway, I trust all is well with your daughter and baby which is far more important.

Edit: I see from your last post that it appears you paid in full of your own volition. In that case I don’t think they're being very fair but you may well be stuck with it. The lesson is never to pay more up front than you have to.

Bazza222 replied on 14/10/2020 20:51

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:34 by huskydog

Personally I would put a family members health way above a refund ,I’d rather lose a few pounds than a member of the family 

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:51

Totally agree I would pay anything if it helped my new grandson.

Bazza222 replied on 14/10/2020 20:53

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:45 by Tinwheeler

Their terms of business should state their cancellation policy and I would never pay upfront without knowing those terms.

If they have breached their own terms, I’d make the club's CL department aware of what's happened. If they have not breached them, then I’m afraid that's the way it is.

As TDA said, CLs make their own rules and conditions and it's outwith the control of the club.

Anyway, I trust all is well with your daughter and baby which is far more important.

Edit: I see from your last post that it appears you paid in full of your own volition. In that case I don’t think they're being very fair but you may well be stuck with it. The lesson is never to pay more up front than you have to.

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:53

Yes Lesson learned.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/10/2020 20:58

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:58

Yes, agree, perhaps chase up with Club’s CL Dept, see if they can help. Sadly it’s a lesson learned, I would only pay up front with holiday insurance, and to be honest, there are so many CLs out there, we never pay anything upfront nowadays.

If I was you, I would remove the negative comments you have left under the review section (a review is supposed to be about what the site is like, not the fact that you didn’t stay and are arguing about the money) and hope that the Club can help. Given that the rest of the reviews are very positive, my first impression was of someone engaging in a revenge attack, which might not be the best way of negotiating to get your 50% back, which I hope the site honours. 

It’s more stress for you, at an already stressful time. Good wishes for your families health, and I hope it can be resolved amicably.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/10/2020 21:04

Posted on 14/10/2020 21:04

I suspect the review will be Deleted User anyway as it isn’t in line with the guidelines.

davetommo replied on 14/10/2020 21:05

Posted on 14/10/2020 20:58 by Takethedogalong

Yes, agree, perhaps chase up with Club’s CL Dept, see if they can help. Sadly it’s a lesson learned, I would only pay up front with holiday insurance, and to be honest, there are so many CLs out there, we never pay anything upfront nowadays.

If I was you, I would remove the negative comments you have left under the review section (a review is supposed to be about what the site is like, not the fact that you didn’t stay and are arguing about the money) and hope that the Club can help. Given that the rest of the reviews are very positive, my first impression was of someone engaging in a revenge attack, which might not be the best way of negotiating to get your 50% back, which I hope the site honours. 

It’s more stress for you, at an already stressful time. Good wishes for your families health, and I hope it can be resolved amicably.

Posted on 14/10/2020 21:05

There are sometimes bad reviews about this CL, but for some reason they don’t stay on long. I wonder if the owner gets them removed somehow.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook