Children on CLs

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 07/02/2017 21:29

Posted on 07/02/2017 21:29

We tend not to get many children staying at our CL - ours is a quiet rural area, more suited to bird-watching and country dog walks, but we are happy to see the dozen or so children we get each year - after all, they are the future of the Club.

It therefore came as a surprise that the 'fixed' CL search only shows one CL in the whole of the UK which welcomes children.  I have asked for the child-friendly icon to be restored for our CL (and for the CC team to look at restoring this search option for others).

Ian Kelly
01691 622951
Caravan@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm - an award-winning caravan site in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan Club

Lessey replied on 12/02/2017 22:37

Posted on 12/02/2017 22:37

I'm pleased to hear it! My wife and I have 4 kids and a dog and love cl sites. Are CL site owners aware that there is such a thing as a child friendly icon as your not the first owner of a cl I have heard say this. To be fair most of the cl type sites I have stayed on have been with the other club as my parents are also members with them.

Jon

AlanGL7 replied on 12/02/2017 23:57

Posted on 12/02/2017 23:57

Something appears to have changed in the last few days as there are now 1075 CLs with the Children Welcome icon out of a total of 2306. There are 378 Adult only sites leaving 853 that are not Adult Only but presumably don't welcome children! 

Interestingly the Children Welcome icon has been added to both my CLs but I wasn't asked although I am happy with the inclusion. 

www.greenacrescl.co.uk

We now accept online bookings

cyberyacht replied on 13/02/2017 07:17

Posted on 13/02/2017 07:17

I would have thought that the only CL's that 'need' to be AO are those with a particular hazard for children. Unfenced deep water for instance.

EmilysDad replied on 13/02/2017 08:20

Posted on 13/02/2017 07:17 by cyberyacht

I would have thought that the only CL's that 'need' to be AO are those with a particular hazard for children. Unfenced deep water for instance.

Posted on 13/02/2017 08:20

Does a day at the sea side pose a hazard then?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 13/02/2017 08:52

Posted on 13/02/2017 08:52

The last CL I used was awash with Children & the better for it too. It was alive with laughter & fun. It's the Parents/Guardians responsibility to ensure the Children are safe not putting an AO restriction to protect them from themselves. I always check out a CL's website to gain all the info I need prior to visiting. Once you read that you'll see if it's Family friendly or not. There is room in the Leisure industry to cater for all needs.

Kennine replied on 13/02/2017 10:15

Posted on 13/02/2017 10:15

It is up to the CL owner to do a risk assessment as to what farming machinery and other dangers that a working farm could impact on kids playing around the CL.

If that assessment states that there is or could be  a danger to unsupervised  kids then it is prudent for the farmer to declare the CC Adults Only.

Otherwise why not welcome children.  They are on holiday too.

Cheers.............K

wildemere replied on 14/02/2017 17:22

Posted on 14/02/2017 17:22

Our CL is fenced to keep children and dogs on site, we have some realey great families on site and those that know how to behave are welcome.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook