Caravan club symbols revised

Lunarcpl replied on 10/10/2017 14:36

Posted on 10/10/2017 14:36

We are returning members to the CMC. I have just been looking at the hand book that arrived in the post today , and was a bit disappointed at what I first thought was the number of CLs that wouldn't allow caravans. After a bit of googling I found an old post from 2014 where a CL owner was saying that motor home owner visitors to his site thought that it was motorhome only because in the hand book there was a symbol of a caravan with a line through it. The owner explained that the symbol ment no hard standings. As I said, my first impression was "no caravans". It was only by looking at a random page where all but one of the entries had the caravan with a line through it that I thought it must have another meaning.

I would have thought that since this confusion was first noticed in at liest 2014 that something would have been done about it. The owner finished his post by suggesting that owners may be missing out on bookings because of it.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/10/2017 14:43

Posted on 10/10/2017 14:43

I thought the line was under the caravan thus denoting a HS. undecided

Is it different in the book?

JayEss replied on 10/10/2017 15:02

Posted on 10/10/2017 15:02

I'm at my PC so I've dug the handbook out of the recycling box.

There is a caravan with a line through it - it means no hard standings.  Unlike the similar symbol with a line through a MH which means it's unsuitable for MH

There is a caravan with a solid line for HS and one with a broken line for part HS. 

Navigateur replied on 10/10/2017 17:45

Posted on 10/10/2017 17:45

So do we now need a further symbol of a motor caravan with a line under it, and a diagonal line through it, to avoid creating the impression that there are hard standings for the use of motor caravans but not for trailer caravans?

AlanGL7 replied on 11/10/2017 07:03

Posted on 11/10/2017 07:03

I think I was the owner referred to in the OP that pointed out the confusion with the No Hardstanding symbol. I have raised it several times with the CAMC and I find it staggering that they have not changed it. I think I also suggested removing it as why not just highlight the sites that do have hardstanding after all there is no symbol for 'No Toilets' or 'No EHU'.

Alan

www.greenacrescl.co.uk

CLMaddie replied on 11/10/2017 09:39

Posted on 11/10/2017 09:39

Hi Lunarcpl

Thank you for your OP, all our CL sites accept caravans however there are some which may not be suitable for Motorhomes. The sites which aren't suitable for Motorhomes will have a symbol of a Motorhome with a diagonal line through it.

On the back cover of the Sites Directory and Handbook is a fold which provides a description of each of the symbols. This is also broken down to show the symbols that are relevant for CL sites as well.

Navigateur - any sites for with hardstanding pitches should be available for any Caravan or Motorhome to use but we would always recommend you check with the owner at the time of booking.

Thank you all for your feedback, I will pass this on to the Publishing Team who create the Sites Directory and Handbook.

Thanks

Maddie

KjellNN replied on 11/10/2017 11:35

Posted on 11/10/2017 11:35

Ideally we want a hard standing, so when searching for a suitable CL will select that,

When the results come up and we further investigate the choices we often find that the site has only one or two HSs and some even say "hard standing available for MH if required".

So are MHs getting preference?

Some CLs do not state how many HSs they actually have, it may only be one.

In the past we have thought we had actually booked a HS at a CL, to be told on arrival "there is a HS over there if you want to use it".

What if the person who arrived before us had wanted to use it!

With only 5 pitches to choose from, it is a bit different from choosing on arrival at a Club site.

Back on topic.......the symbol the OP referred to is rather confusing IMO, there should only be a symbol to denote the presence of HS, and a number to indicate how many.

nelliethehooker replied on 11/10/2017 19:54

Posted on 11/10/2017 19:54

Another (potential) problem is that although a site has a symbol for H/S the pitch itself may well be hard but to get to that pitch one has to drive over grass to pitch-up on the hard. Should the ground be soft this may not be a problem for many, especially those with 4x4s but it certainly could be for large M/Hs.

I appreciate that one should always ask what the situation is but nowadays there are some CLs that have direct on-line booking systems where one does not talk to the site owner.

Wherenext replied on 15/10/2017 15:29

Posted on 15/10/2017 15:29

We've just come back from staying on a CL that had exactly what NTH describes. The CL owner did say that another member had pointed out the potential problem and that he intended to rectify the situation in the near future. However he had asked the Club to advise him when setting up the CL last year on how the site should be set up and they didn't say anything about this potential problem. Luckily he hasn't had to rescue anyone (yet).

nelliethehooker replied on 15/10/2017 19:23

Posted on 15/10/2017 19:23

It just so happens that we too have been on a couple of sites within the last two weeks where we've had to cross grass to get to a H/S pitch. With the first one we used our mover to get set up, and having discussed this problem with the site owner, he is shortly going to put in extra H/S from each pitch to the entrance roadway. The second site has 3 H/S but they are quite a way across his large site field from the solid entrance and so it's not a viable option making them totally hard. Fortunately the ground is solid at the moment, we've had no rain and I am told that the field drains quickly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook