Business Rates For CL’s?

Edgeone replied on 28/07/2013 18:00

Posted on 28/07/2013 18:00

Hi

I’m looking into setting up my own CL and I’ve read the forum with regards to Business Rates.

I’ve looked into this and I’m not clear how any CL is paying rates.

There is small business rate relief where any business with a rateable value of less than £6,000 pays no business rates.

The rateable value for CL’s is calculated at between 18-25% of the gross receipts, the percentage depends on if the site is basic or with full hard standing etc. So a basic site with EHU that I’m considering is 20%.

To even get to a rateable value of £6,000 you would need annual gross receipts of £30,000.

No CL can be generating £30,000.

I must have this wrong somehow as many CL owners are stating they pay business rates.

Thanks

Chris

NeyRhy123 replied on 15/10/2020 21:20

Posted on 15/10/2020 21:20

did you manage to find an answer, im considering opening up a cl and its a mine field to find whats what, ?

CLMaddie replied on 16/10/2020 09:11

Posted on 16/10/2020 09:11

Hi Edgeone

You would need to speak to your local authority with regards to business rates. Your CL business would need to be earning a certain amount each year to be paying business rates. If the CL was your only business you would most likely not fall into that category.

Thanks

Maddie 

wildemere replied on 17/10/2020 17:48

Posted on 17/10/2020 17:48

When I setup my CL many years ago, my local council wanted me to have a much bigger site than 5 vans to help meet a need for the area, they would help with the planning and the plans for a toilet block at no cost to myself. I did not go down that route for two reasons  firstly the costs some £20 K and then the whole site would have been subject to rates. The CL has to date never been subjected to them.But I am aware of one that is at a zero rate to date, but had the shadow of what happens in the future.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook