Aurora Borealis Spotting

Bakers2 replied on 15/10/2017 21:33

Posted on 15/10/2017 21:33

I've had a glimpse of them in Essex.

I think you need to be quite far north in UK and be lucky. The activity goes in 11 year cycles I believe. ?Leicester university has an expected activity page. I have it bookmarked on my laptop but I'm away at the mo. You could try a Google to see if you can find some info. I believe ive seen some CL'S mention that they are well situated to see them if there is activity. (Sadly the search facility on this site wouldn't help 😉😉)

ValDa replied on 15/10/2017 21:44

Posted on 15/10/2017 21:44

We saw then on several nights, whilst in Canada - and again from the window of the plane coming home.  A few years ago, when there were good forecasts for sightings we drove up into remote North Yorkshire, but all we saw was a faint greenish glow on the horizon.  However, photos taken from near where we were, at the Tan Hill Inn (with long exposure cameras) showed a much more spectacular sight.

Here's a link to Lancaster Univery Aurora Watch where you can subscribe and receive email alerts when good sightings may be expected.

Freelander359 replied on 15/10/2017 22:42

Posted on 15/10/2017 22:42

If subscribing to the Aurorawatch service form Lancaster Uni it's best to get text alerts as they are sent out pretty quick whereas the emails can be an hour or so later by which time the activity has often died down. We have had a number of amber alerts and even some red alerts which  would have been great but these have always coincided with cloudy skies ☚ī¸.

Like Navigateur we had a trip to Iceland in the hope of seeing them in January this year but no luck unfortunately. We are sure will see them one day if we keep looking.

Bakers2 replied on 16/10/2017 08:19

Posted on 15/10/2017 21:44 by ValDa

We saw then on several nights, whilst in Canada - and again from the window of the plane coming home.  A few years ago, when there were good forecasts for sightings we drove up into remote North Yorkshire, but all we saw was a faint greenish glow on the horizon.  However, photos taken from near where we were, at the Tan Hill Inn (with long exposure cameras) showed a much more spectacular sight.

Here's a link to Lancaster Univery Aurora Watch where you can subscribe and receive email alerts when good sightings may be expected.

Posted on 16/10/2017 08:19

Thanks ValDa for putting the link, and pointing out its Lancaster. I had a strong feeling it wasn't Leicester but could get them out if my mind! 

Yes when I've seen them in Essex it's just been a green or red hue. Much easier to spot now our streetlights are off from midnight. I'd love to see them for real in the dancing way, and one day................

ValDa replied on 16/10/2017 09:40

Posted on 16/10/2017 09:40

We've seen the 'dancing' ones at Sioux Lookout and the Ojibway National Parkr,  in North Eastern Ontario, Canada - spectacular, and truly amazing!  Green, purple, yellow, and pink - like an extended rainbow of light, or a diesel spill in the sky and visible for a very long time!

If anyone's planning a Canadian trip, then take time to look outside late at night.

Rosie Rabbit replied on 16/10/2017 11:33

Posted on 16/10/2017 11:33

Thanks everyone - I'll follow that link. Apparently Shetlanders call them The Mirrie Dancers which I think is a fantastic name for them.

Rosie Rabbit replied on 16/10/2017 11:38

Posted on 15/10/2017 21:44 by ValDa

Posted on 16/10/2017 11:38

Re: long exposures that's something else I fancy doing in dark skies areas - lovely star trails.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook