Are CL users becoming 2nd Class?

JohnM20 replied on 19/09/2022 09:06

Posted on 19/09/2022 09:06

We've just returned from a week on a CL in Wales that couldn't really, generally, be faulted. The CL is incorporated within what is a small commercial site including tent campers. Talking to another club member on site who had visited previously he told me that the CL part of the site has been moved from the front to the back. Although this may give a bit more 'privacy' it is also a more shaded part of the site with almost no sun on the pitches and it also has far less extensive or interesting views from the pitches. I suppose it is a chicken and egg situation, which came first when the site was originally opened, the CL or the commercial site. Whatever the answer, why move the CL pitches?

JohnM20 replied on 19/09/2022 09:46

Posted on 19/09/2022 09:12 by Tinwheeler

Did you not ask the site owner, John? There could be numerous reasons.

Posted on 19/09/2022 09:46

No, it was only as we were just about to leave when we were told by the guy on the neighbouring pitch.

obbernockle replied on 19/09/2022 11:35

Posted on 19/09/2022 11:35

What you have been told is quite likely to be "tittle-tattle". The only thing that should matter to you is whether you enjoyed the CL or not. These days, we use Google Earth to try and avoid shady CL's, as well as site reviews published by commercial websites.

eurortraveller replied on 19/09/2022 11:41

Posted on 19/09/2022 09:06 by JohnM20

We've just returned from a week on a CL in Wales that couldn't really, generally, be faulted. The CL is incorporated within what is a small commercial site including tent campers. Talking to another club member on site who had visited previously he told me that the CL part of the site has been moved from the front to the back. Although this may give a bit more 'privacy' it is also a more shaded part of the site with almost no sun on the pitches and it also has far less extensive or interesting views from the pitches. I suppose it is a chicken and egg situation, which came first when the site was originally opened, the CL or the commercial site. Whatever the answer, why move the CL pitches?

Posted on 19/09/2022 11:41

If you prefer the commercial section of the site then stay there next time. Why be tied to a CL?

JohnM20 replied on 19/09/2022 14:48

Posted on 19/09/2022 11:35 by obbernockle

What you have been told is quite likely to be "tittle-tattle". The only thing that should matter to you is whether you enjoyed the CL or not. These days, we use Google Earth to try and avoid shady CL's, as well as site reviews published by commercial websites.

Posted on 19/09/2022 14:48

Not sure why you think it is quite likely 'tittle-tattle'. It was just a comment from my neighbour that the CL used to be on the other side of a hedge/trees. I do use Google Earth but it would have been impossible to tell that the pitches on one side of the hedge got little or no sunshine. The photographs on the CaMC website also 'suggest' that the pitches shown are the CL pitches. They may well have been when the photograph was taken. I could have asked to move but as the site was full, apart from 2 pitches on the CL, that wasn't an option. Yes, we did enjoy our stay but with some slight envy of the others on the other side of the hedge/trees enjoying the sun and the views.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/09/2022 15:01

Posted on 19/09/2022 15:01

We quite frequently use CLs that have both a CL area, and a private site area. We usually have a look at both areas, and decide which we like best. We are unlikely to know those pitched up next to us, so we aren’t concerned if they are Members or not, so that aspect never worries us. Never feel first or second class on either to be honest, just happily enjoy what has been provided.

moulesy replied on 19/09/2022 15:38

Posted on 19/09/2022 15:38

I may be wrong, but I suspect the CL concerned may be one we stayed on a few years back (near Builth Wells?)

There were certainly two distinct areas then, in front of and behind a high hedge, together with a camping field.

If so, it was one of our favourite CLs, but we certainly wouldn't have wanted to be "behind the hedge"!  frown

DavidKlyne replied on 19/09/2022 17:22

Posted on 19/09/2022 17:22

I must say I have always been a bit baffled by the concept of a campsite also running a CL alongside? Having said that we did stay at Overwater Marina earlier in the year which does the same. I assume the reasoning is to tap into the Club membership who might not otherwise use a private site but would a CL? Can't offer any explanation for the move of the CL but would imagine that the site makes more money from the campsite customers so perhaps the driver was financial?

David

JohnM20 replied on 19/09/2022 17:31

Posted on 19/09/2022 15:38 by moulesy

I may be wrong, but I suspect the CL concerned may be one we stayed on a few years back (near Builth Wells?)

There were certainly two distinct areas then, in front of and behind a high hedge, together with a camping field.

If so, it was one of our favourite CLs, but we certainly wouldn't have wanted to be "behind the hedge"!  frown

Posted on 19/09/2022 17:31

Yes, you're correct moulesy. Having been there you know what I'm talking about.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook