Adults Only CLs Annoyance..

Ian justice replied on 06/02/2016 15:28

Posted on 06/02/2016 15:28

Hi All, Apoligies if this has been raised before but couldn't find any previous threads on the topic.. 

Whilst carrying out my usual serch for the perfect CL in the Perfect location etc, one thing stuck me that hasn't jumped out at me before  -  The large number of CL's that seem to be "Adults Only".

We are the usual family ( 2 Adults, 2 kids and a dog ) and find it annoying that when I find the "perfect" CL, I look down the listing and discover the dreaded adults only logo!

Now I realise that its all down to the owners discretion and fully respect that - but we enjoy the smaller "non commercial" sites as much as our fellow CL users and aren't keen on paying the hiked club site fees.

It just seems that the CL lifestyle isn't pitched towards the family unit..  We all love the club and pay our fees but if the increasing trend for Adults only increases then we'll have to re-think the membership fees.

As a side note - We've discovered DA camping and rallying over the past few years and while its great, we just love the seclusion that CL's bring

Many Thanks,

Ian - "Still searching!"

susiepops replied on 06/02/2016 15:43

Posted on 06/02/2016 15:43

Many are adult only but many, many more are not.  We prefer adult only as we have had too many bad experiences that have spoiled our hard earned breaks. If you look in the directory or put in Adult only in the search , sometimes there are none in the area.  Surely it is horses for courses but there are far, far less adult only than not.

TanyaandMick replied on 06/02/2016 16:22

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:22

IMO, the ethics and values of the club seem to be inclusive and steered towards the family. Plus without doing the math, there seems to be far more inclusive CLs than adult only.

Therefore, typically CLs seemed to be aligned with club values.

However, this adds no comfort during what can be at times a frustrated search...

Tinwheeler replied on 06/02/2016 16:46

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:46

Without AO CLs there would be even fewer to choose from. They clearly fill a need and boost CL numbers and members' options. I dislike CLs without EHU but recognise it suits some people to use them. It's all about choice.

SteveL replied on 06/02/2016 16:46

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:46

I'm not sure why you should be annoyed. A little frustrated maybe but why annoyed. In general these days a family with young kids is much better catered for than when ours were young. Not only on camp sites but when going out for meals. We used to struggle to find a pub that would let kids in, even if you were eating. Surely it is only fair that there should be some venues that are adults only.

InaD replied on 06/02/2016 16:47

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:47

Like previous posters, I really don't think that there are as many adult only sites as non-adult only.  It could be that there just happen to be more in one particular area which would be pure coincidence, I'm sure.

There could be various reasons for CL owners to go down the Adult Only route, one of which I assume could be previous negative experiences with children.  Unfortunately, as usual it's the minority who spoil things for the majority.

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 06/02/2016 16:50

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:50

We are a retired couple but will not stay on any sites that advertise as 'adult only'.    We think it goes against the whole ethos of camping and caravanning holidays and deprives families of the chance to enjoy the pleasures of caravanning and camping.  That in the long term is not good for the Club either.  (At the risk of generating comments from those who like such sites, we also find that such 'adult only' sites can be very sterile and more like mediocre suburbia.

rayjsj replied on 06/02/2016 16:55

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:55

Ian,

I think a lot of the AO sites are that way because of specific potential dangers to children, for example unfenced fishing lakes or ponds, working machinery on a farm, etc., they have to have public liability insurance , but that is no consolation if a child got killed, when unsupervised.Then everyone would be looking for someone to blame.

Ian justice replied on 06/02/2016 16:57

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:57

Hi - Thanks for the replies..

Whilst I agree that we all look forward to our hard earned breaks, I'm not sure that making sites adult only guarantee a trouble free stay any more than not.

We've had some very unpleasant experiances over the years and they all wern't caused by the family units with unrulely kids etc, sometimes its adults out late at nights drinking and being loud - not respecting fellow campers.

I've just tried the CL search and yes I agree, of the thousands of sites only 378 are adults only - BUT if you search for the category "Children Welcome" the search brings back a big fat zero results!.  Ho hum!

InaD replied on 06/02/2016 16:59

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:59

We are a retired couple but will not stay on any sites that advertise as 'adult only'.    We think it goes against the whole ethos of camping and caravanning holidays and deprives families of the chance to enjoy the pleasures of caravanning and camping.  That in the long term is not good for the Club either.  (At the risk of generating comments from those who like such sites, we also find that such 'adult only' sites can be very sterile and more like mediocre suburbia.

We don't avoid them, but neither do we look for them.  If we want to stay in a particular area and there happens to be an AO site or CL, then we'll stay there.  I can't say that I've found them worse or better, but some seem to be rather expensive.  I do think, however, that it's good to have a choice.

RangeRoverMan replied on 06/02/2016 16:59

Posted on 06/02/2016 16:59

I think also there is an element of health and safety involved.

I love to hear children playing and enjoying themselves so I don't go looking for adult only sites.

We do go to one which is AO but the the reason is that there is deep unfenced open water areas and the owners are worried about unsupervised minors suffering injury. Also, bearing in mind a lot CLs are working farms there is likely to be potentially hazardous situations around.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook