£100 charge to drive through Bath CAZ

ScreenNameD476640069 replied on 19/04/2023 11:06

Posted on 19/04/2023 11:06

I uprated my motor home from 3.5T to 3.85T in 2021 and it appears this has now caused an issue with the new Clean Air Zones (CAZ). I inadvertently passed through the Bath CAZ on Weds 5th April. When we got to our first camp site, I looked up what it meant and typed in my registration. The government website told me that a fee of £100 was due as my vehicle is classed as a PHGV. If I apply for a permit I can get a discounted rate of £9 for a PHGV, but it would NOT be back dated and would take 14 days to come through. I confirmed this with the CAZ team and they confirmed that I would have to pay £100 or challenge the fee when my Penalty Charge Notice arrives in the next week or so.

I looked up a similar aged VW Crafter motorhome which has not been uprated and that vehicle would be charged a £9 fee.

I intend to appeal the charge, as I am not a commercial vehicle and my motor home engine has not changed and thus my emissions have not changed.

Avoid Bath if you have a large motorhome which is not Euro 6 compliant. 

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

brue replied on 19/04/2023 11:42

Posted on 19/04/2023 11:42

There are more and more clean air zones coming into action so it's unfortunate to find yourself in this position. Bristol would be similar.

Hopefully your story will be moved to the main discussion area and alert others to the situation. 

DavidKlyne replied on 20/04/2023 10:56

Posted on 20/04/2023 10:56

The problem for motorhomers is there is no separate VED classification for them, they are lumped together with commercial vehicles. This makes it difficult to make an exception for them. Even if there were a separate VED category I imagine there would be a temptation by Government to tax them similarly to cars which might mean a much higher rate of VED than we enjoy at the moment so any savings could just be a case of swings and roundabouts? With an increasing number of CAZ/LEZ/ULEZ zones being put in place we have to be increasing alert to these schemes when planning our routes.

There does seem to be a increasing amount of disquiet from local residents to many of these schemes so whether that will bring about change we will have to see. It seems that Central Government are dictating that such schemes are put in place but leaving it up to Local Authorities to design and implement them. 

David

SteveL replied on 20/04/2023 11:36

Posted on 20/04/2023 11:36

Trouble is with the Bath low emission zone, it’s not very easy to miss. There is not a ring road, as with many other city’s. We ended up going into it when going from Salisbury to Bristol, the A36 goes straight into it. We would have had to take avoiding action well before. Fortunately for us, when I checked our MH was exempt. However, as the councils get used to the revenue I can’t see that continuing, they will want to maintain that income stream as folk switch to cleaner modes of transport.

JimE replied on 20/04/2023 11:44

Posted on 20/04/2023 11:44

Very strange - I have a 2015 Dethleffs Advantage A Class classed as a PHGV at 3,850kg.  It has a Fiat 2.3 diesel engine rated as Euro 5.

I have just run the reg no through the .Gov vehicle checker and that shows No Charge for all current CAZs.  It also shows No Charge for the London LEZ.

brue replied on 20/04/2023 13:35

Posted on 20/04/2023 13:35

It won't be long before we have to pay £12.50 in the NE if we want to see our family up there, I think that's the most expensive "lower" rate in the pipeline but more are coming on board. We're Euro5 diesel. It wouldn't be so bad if we could use our EV to get there but the working charge points are few and far between. Somehow I think pollution will make these councils richer! wink

Lukeledge replied on 24/04/2023 09:53

Posted on 20/04/2023 13:35 by brue

It won't be long before we have to pay £12.50 in the NE if we want to see our family up there, I think that's the most expensive "lower" rate in the pipeline but more are coming on board. We're Euro5 diesel. It wouldn't be so bad if we could use our EV to get there but the working charge points are few and far between. Somehow I think pollution will make these councils richer! wink

Posted on 24/04/2023 09:53

What £12.50 charge is this?

As far as I can see the only charges of this level are for entering the London Congestion Zone ( although that is £15)

The LEZs basically ban any vehicles outside the emission limits and a penalty charge (£60 -100) will be issued to drivers who enter the LEZ (or ULEZ) in a non-exempt vehicle.

brue replied on 24/04/2023 10:00

Posted on 24/04/2023 09:53 by Lukeledge

What £12.50 charge is this?

As far as I can see the only charges of this level are for entering the London Congestion Zone ( although that is £15)

The LEZs basically ban any vehicles outside the emission limits and a penalty charge (£60 -100) will be issued to drivers who enter the LEZ (or ULEZ) in a non-exempt vehicle.

Posted on 24/04/2023 10:00

Ref the OP and clean air zones ( CAZ.)

Justus2 replied on 24/04/2023 10:13

Posted on 20/04/2023 11:44 by JimE

Very strange - I have a 2015 Dethleffs Advantage A Class classed as a PHGV at 3,850kg.  It has a Fiat 2.3 diesel engine rated as Euro 5.

I have just run the reg no through the .Gov vehicle checker and that shows No Charge for all current CAZs.  It also shows No Charge for the London LEZ.

Posted on 24/04/2023 10:13

Strange indeed as our 2015 Fiat euro5 autosleeper comes up as chargeable in all areas...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook