Sickness motion/pitching

ScreenNameCC946F3B80 replied on 03/04/2021 12:41

Posted on 03/04/2021 12:41

i am new to caravan towing but can not stop a sickness motion when towing.this makes

a long trip impossible.my car is a ford kuga 150 diesel and van sprite major 4 .compatable 

pairing i believe.this happens even when i test the nose weight at correct 90kg.i have tried laden and empty but no difference. could you please help .

Mick Froggett ,Coventry 

Moved from Story Section

Cornersteady replied on 05/04/2021 09:55

Posted on 05/04/2021 09:36 by Bakers2

The OP hasn't come back, but is new.

After my comment I had trouble finding the thread as it had been moved. I first found it on the latest activity page, my usual starting point, story section, not there assumed moved. Took me a while to find it as it appeared on the date started not moved. I only found because it's something that happens regularly. Even if you click on your post you get those very helpful not, wrong way road signs so that's no help at all šŸ˜¤. One day this site might be used friendly and intuitive- but I'm not sure when!

Poor poster probably thinks no one cares.......... If the moderator who moved it could let them know? Or lead the OP to the new thread when its moved it would show a degree of care. It's not just new folk who post in the wrong category that should be a heads up to the forum writers.........

Posted on 05/04/2021 09:55

Yes I often wonder when a mod moves a story to discussions if they let the OP know somehow?

Up to the other day the 'story' would lead to the page not found

DaveCyn replied on 05/04/2021 10:52

Posted on 05/04/2021 10:52

Have you considered having the cars rear suspension stiffened?

Fairly inexpensive fix which has worked on a couple of cars we've had in the past.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/04/2021 12:19

Posted on 04/04/2021 16:39 by Wherenext

Post edit: One RAF navigator I knew cured it with a few ginger biscuits before each flight!

Mrs WN suffers from a bit of motion sickness if travelling first thing in the morning but since switching to drinking a cup of Ginger Tea instead of normal cuppa as her first drink she has reduced her sickness level. She also uses Sturgeron motion sickness tablets if still feeling unwell but this isn't advisable for those that drive as they sometimes make you drowsy.

Sometime having what looks like a perfectly compatible outfit just doesn't work. We had to sell a Subaru after only 4 months as the ride was too soft for her. It was a great match for the caravan though.

Posted on 05/04/2021 12:19

All good advice. I suffer chronic travel sickness in all kinds of vehicles occasionally. My last bout was so bad, I was hauled off to A&E in an ambulance, the morning after we had arrived on Site! (Tested for everything until the penny dropped, then sent back to Site with some “magic” pills that I carry constantly.
Ginger in various forms is a known help, as is all the other suggestions such as no reading, taking Sturgeron. Our van used to pitch sometimes. It’s often nothing more than the length of the towcar v caravan, I got it in our SWB Defender occasionally, sometimes with the SWB Jeep. That last bad one was in the MH, so there’s simply no pattern with me. Boats are a nightmare scenariošŸ¤¢

It sadly doesn’t take much if you do suffer. Citroen cars are another potential hazard for me, wallowing suspension. Good stiff ride is best, love our MG for this.

Wherenext replied on 05/04/2021 14:08

Posted on 05/04/2021 14:08

Re: Moving posts. I did query this sometime ago and DK did advise that they try to advise OP ( I think).

Ttda, you are right about the length of car. The Subaru mentioned was the only estate type car we've had but we were lent a Mercedes estate for a cottage holiday once to Elgin and that had a similar effect on Mrs WN. Even I didn't like the ride and wonder why I bought the thing in the first place.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/04/2021 20:12

Posted on 05/04/2021 20:12

I too have raised the question as to how a poster in a certain section can find any responses if the post is moved. Couldn't the person who moves it firstly copy the post and paste it in the new section, lock the original and then just add a note to the OP indicating where it's been moved to and where the responses to invade likely to be?

Perhaps a mod can supply an answer!

Navigateur replied on 05/04/2021 22:53

Posted on 05/04/2021 22:53

If the original poster ever finds this thread, or others have the same problem, here is how to start finding a solution. 

Tow the caravan with another vehicle and observe what happens, tow a different caravan with the original car and see what happens.If both these experiments produce a stable tow then there is definately something odd happening that requires collective imagination, but I suspect the culprit will show up quickly.

TonyBurton replied on 08/04/2021 20:29

Posted on 08/04/2021 20:29

The best advice is inflating the car tyres to maximum. There will always be a different feel in the car whilst towing. Try to relax and accept it is quite normal. Does the caravan have shock absorbers? On some makes they are an optional extra. It may give a smoother ride. They are fairly easy to fit. Check out the Al-Ko website.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook