Dometic windows of woe

ScreenNameCBFCEFE999 replied on 09/10/2020 20:13

Posted on 09/10/2020 20:13

I am writing to make motorhome owners aware of the phenomenon of cracks appearing in Dometic and Heki windows.

My Swift Bolero is a 2016 model having done only 8000 miles. I contacted Dometic after some serious cracks (one of them 5 inches long and both sides of the panel) had appeared in three of my windows.

I did some research and there are quite few forums where people have experienced the same. They, as now have I, have been fobbed off with Dometic blaming aggressive cleaning chemicals. These have never been used and I have only ever cleaned with a mild soapy solution.

I have after all invested a considerable amount of money in our MoHo and I am not going to use anything but the correct products on it. Very disappointing.

It may be worth buyers of motorhome specifying the windows in any warranty they work out with their dealer. This will cost me a lot of money to correct and I am not confident that it won’t happen again!

Moved from Story Section

ABM replied on 10/10/2020 16:58

Posted on 10/10/2020 16:58

It may be of some help if you could contact the C&MC's Legal Department with your problem & details.  They probably have a nice sized file on this problem already !

Good Luck.

lennden replied on 26/10/2020 15:35

Posted on 26/10/2020 15:35

Hi - We have a Swift caravan 2017 and we have 3 cracked windows.  We too have been advised by Dometic that this is due to the incorrect use of cleaning products (initially they said it was damage), then changed the excuse to this.  When initially reported to them by our dealer, Dometic said that they would replace one of the windows, but suddenly this all changed to none.  We have advised Swift and Dometic that we will elevate our complaint and post detrimental information about them both on social media, but to no avail.  We have asked for the name of a Manager at both Dometic and Swift, but nothing has transpired.  

Such lousy customer service and we would never recommend anyone to buy a Swift.  Surely the very least we could expect, is an inspection of the windows - Covid restrictions cannot surely be used as an excuse for this?

If you find a way forward, please let us know and we will do the same.

Regards

Len Rogers

JVB66 replied on 26/10/2020 15:46

Posted on 26/10/2020 15:46

What about going to small claims court ? then it may well be up to them to prove their claim it is cleaning products at fault

could end up with the usual "as a gesture of good will"

Tinwheeler replied on 26/10/2020 15:54

Posted on 26/10/2020 15:46 by JVB66

What about going to small claims court ? then it may well be up to them to prove their claim it is cleaning products at fault

could end up with the usual "as a gesture of good will"

Posted on 26/10/2020 15:54

Just what I was going to say.

Threaten Court action and be prepared to follow it through. There’s plenty of guidance online but a professional opinion backing your claim would be a huge help.

I wonder if the OP did contact the club's legal team for advice?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook