Can you fit a spare wheel to a Swift Kontiki Sport

ScreenName7660F26569 replied on 30/01/2022 12:43

Posted on 30/01/2022 12:43

Hi  I’ve just purchased a 2020 Automatic Swft Kontiki Sport model 596 rear lounge, I was not aware when I purchased the vehicle that there was no spare wheel, I have checked underneath and it looks like a spare wheel will fit underneath towards the rear end of the vehicle, it looks like I would have to remove one of the cross members, has anyone done this before, is it safe to remove the cross member, is there any photos or video of this, I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

Regards

Eric Moore

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Tinwheeler replied on 30/01/2022 13:14

Posted on 30/01/2022 13:14

I see you are talking about a motorhome and I’d not mess with the structure of the van or chassis as you could invalidate the warranty but check with your dealer.

DavidKlyne replied on 31/01/2022 09:09

Posted on 31/01/2022 09:09

I would have a look on Facebook to see if there are any dedicated groups for the Swift Kon-Tiki and ask there . I have always found Facebook groups a good source of information. You could also try Swift Customer Services direct. It may be down to the type of chassis that Swift use for that model. Don't forget having a spare wheel will eat into your payload which is usually the reason the manufacturers don't include them. You are probably looking at another 20/25 kilos of additional weight.

David

triky auto replied on 31/01/2022 22:43

Posted on 31/01/2022 22:43

When i had my "Jennings Roadranger" back in the 70s,i fitted a pair of 'L' shaped brackets to the rear. These were firmly bolted to the internal structure ,and the spare wheel sat on them secured by a projecting bracket through the hub and a padlock. A vinyl wheel cover finished off the look. .No more crawling underneath for the spare !! cool.

obbernockle replied on 31/01/2022 23:15

Posted on 31/01/2022 23:15

A puncture on a vehicle which is heavily loaded often results in the tyre being unserviceable, so travelling without a spare is a risk (admittedly low risk statistically these days) but the consequences are possibly very bad. A breakdown company will recover an immobile vehicle to the nearest garage, but that's all. The journey will be scuppered temporarily. The delay could be more than a few hours. I find it incredible that a motor caravan, sold as a touring vehicle, should not be equipped with a spare. We tow a caravan with a car, both equipped with spares.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook