Out of hours / emergency help on caravan sites

Rowls1958 replied on 10/10/2022 08:42

Posted on 10/10/2022 08:42

What are peoples thoughts on a campsites obligations to provide an out of hours / emergency telephone number ? I was on a caravan site this week (not a C&MC site ) where a very serious assault occurred due to an argument about excessive late night noise. The site had the usual written rules about no noise after 11.00pm but as there was no out of hours telephone number to complain on, a caravaner took it upon themselves to ask the noisy party to quiet down. Whereupon they were hit over the head with a bottle in a totally unprovoked assault and seriously injured. The police were called and the person was arrested and I believe charged with GBH.

Surely a site owner has a duty of care to it's customers and surely that includes providing an out of hours telephone number. What is the point of a caravan site having rules if they are not going to enforce them ? Obviously once a serious assault occurs you ring the police but if there had been an out of hours number, the site could have dealt with the noise and I believe people behave very differently when they are dealing with site staff rather than another caravaner. In addition to this, there could be all manner of other types of minor emergencies on site during the night and not being able to get hold of a responsible person acting for the caravan site cannot be right ? I go back to the fact that caravan site owners have a legal duty of care to their customers, which continues over nightime, so surely they must provide contact details when there are no staff on site ?? I would be grateful for people's views..

Moderator Comment - As you clearly wish to start a discussion why have you posted this in the story section? I have moved it for you.

TimboC replied on 10/10/2022 17:20

Posted on 10/10/2022 17:20

I think thats a question you should ask of the site you visited. CAMC sites have wardens who would have got involved in the situation you describe, as any noise would have alerted them too.

However, in the case of fire, medical emergencies or when bottles are flying about, theres only one number you need.

Dickdastardly1 replied on 11/10/2022 16:12

Posted on 11/10/2022 16:12

There are always site staff on duty from 8pm to 9am 24/7 to provide emergency assistance. Each site has an emergency mobile to ring for an emergency event. However, this mobile number should only be rung after you have rung 999.

Unfortunately, some members mistakenly think this is also for non emergency events.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/10/2022 16:19

Posted on 11/10/2022 16:19

The OP seems to be talking about all sites rather than club sites (both clubs) where we fare pretty well for emergency assistance.👍🏻

Dragonbus replied on 14/10/2022 08:07

Posted on 14/10/2022 08:07

What you have to remember is that the wardens are NOT the police. They are not trained or equipped to deal with public order, or the law surrounding it.  The first port of call should always be 999. Once you have called 999, then alert the wardens (there is always an emergency number to call on club sites). They can direct to police to where the trouble is, but they are no more obliged to break up a fight than you are.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook