Swift Elegance caravans

pande replied on 30/01/2018 11:52

Posted on 30/01/2018 11:52

Are there any members out there who own one of the models of the Swift Elegance  range?

I am getting conflicting advice regarding the various ways of dealing with the led exterior lights and especially the indicator lights.  From my own experience, to make the indicator lights work in a satisfactory way has required the purchase and fitting onboard of a small electronics package.  But the specification of the electronics package can vary according to the make of towing vehicle.

Have any other members experienced this problem?

Looking forward to hearing from members

pande

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

NevChap replied on 30/01/2018 12:00

Posted on 30/01/2018 12:00

Hi pande. I have an Elegance 580 and have had no problems with the external LED lights. I tow with a Volvo XC90 previously a 2011 model now a 2017 model so relatively new cars. May this be your problem? Does your car have the single connection or the double set of connectors with a converters? Sorry I can't be more help.

KenofKent replied on 30/01/2018 13:24

Posted on 30/01/2018 13:24

Hi pande, this is nothing to do with Elegance, but the cause is the Led lighting. You will probably require a VLM box to be fitted in your caravan. Sergeant electrical who provide the components to Swift will be able to talk you through it and provide the box.

I am assuming you have no dealer to speak to. Hope that has helped.

Ken

dave the rave replied on 30/01/2018 19:13

Posted on 30/01/2018 19:13

I tow with a Kia Sorento and there is no problem.Towbar wiring is through a standard bypass relay.Our company Shogun 2017 with dealer fitted towbar is not compatable with the led road lights!!It seems that certain towcars need the Sargent "fix" to the caravan whilst others have no problem!!

lornalou1 replied on 31/01/2018 11:26

Posted on 31/01/2018 11:26

I think it's all to do with what they call the "can-bus" electrics. some cars need an adapter connected to the rear lights. its a plug in piece. you remove the standard plug, plug in adapter that's made for that vehicle,  and reconnect the standard plug again. know as piggy back connector.

pande replied on 02/02/2018 10:50

Posted on 02/02/2018 10:50

A 'thank you' to you all for your replies, re LED indicator lights on my Swift Elegance.

To expand on what I perceive is a fundamental problem:

1. I purchased my Elegance approx. 4 years ago, my towcar was a Mazda 6 and all lighting, including indicator lights worked perfectly.

2. I subsequently changed my towcar to a Honda CR-V and I immediately experienced problems with the malfunction of the indicator lights.

3. Consulting my dealer, he fitted a Sargent VLM LED module A3 to the caravan electrics which solved the problem.

4. But I still have two concerns: Firstly, my dealer can no longer tow my Elegance from home to his workshops for servicing etc because our caravan is not compatible with his towcar. He informs me that there are 6 versions of the Sargent device, each version relating to a specific UK towcar.

Clearly, this situation is going to be tricky should I wish to sell the caravan. The chances are that the prospective purchaser will not have a towcar which is compatible with the Elegance

Secondly, if for any reason I should suffer a breakdown whilst towing, UK or abroad, there is every chance that the caravan indicators will not work if a tow to a garage is required.  Tricky!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this conundrum?

lornalou1 replied on 02/02/2018 12:01

Posted on 02/02/2018 12:01

can you get a towbar fitter to test the electrics on the car. they usually have a prewired tail board with everything on it including testing the charging circuit and fridge function. this will then let you know that at least the vehicle is wired correctly ( which I don't think it is ). you should be able to tow any van without messing with the van/car electrics.  

Steve Scott replied on 02/02/2018 15:32

Posted on 02/02/2018 15:32

Hi, pande don't see any problem. You tow it to your dealer for any services? If you decide to sell the van at a future date, any buyer will have to decide whether to fit a new VLM box if required. Lastly if you did have a break down and the van wouldn't go on a flatbed then any tow truck driver would have a rear indicator board.

Each VLM covers quiet a few styles of car A3 works on Discovery 2 but doesn't on a VW Touareg (2014) they don't need them.

Steve

Oscarmax replied on 08/02/2018 20:16

Posted on 02/02/2018 10:50 by pande

A 'thank you' to you all for your replies, re LED indicator lights on my Swift Elegance.

To expand on what I perceive is a fundamental problem:

1. I purchased my Elegance approx. 4 years ago, my towcar was a Mazda 6 and all lighting, including indicator lights worked perfectly.

2. I subsequently changed my towcar to a Honda CR-V and I immediately experienced problems with the malfunction of the indicator lights.

3. Consulting my dealer, he fitted a Sargent VLM LED module A3 to the caravan electrics which solved the problem.

4. But I still have two concerns: Firstly, my dealer can no longer tow my Elegance from home to his workshops for servicing etc because our caravan is not compatible with his towcar. He informs me that there are 6 versions of the Sargent device, each version relating to a specific UK towcar.

Clearly, this situation is going to be tricky should I wish to sell the caravan. The chances are that the prospective purchaser will not have a towcar which is compatible with the Elegance

Secondly, if for any reason I should suffer a breakdown whilst towing, UK or abroad, there is every chance that the caravan indicators will not work if a tow to a garage is required.  Tricky!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this conundrum?

Posted on 08/02/2018 20:16

Strange my Honda CRV 2013 had no problems at all connecting up to our Conqueror 2016 led lights.

Salop Leisure Shrewsbury  have a test board which they link up to your 13pin electrics prior to collection, then finally connected up the the caravan on collection.

Again new Ford Kuga no problems.

Nathan Ellis replied on 03/02/2019 23:24

Posted on 30/01/2018 11:52 by pande

Are there any members out there who own one of the models of the Swift Elegance  range?

I am getting conflicting advice regarding the various ways of dealing with the led exterior lights and especially the indicator lights.  From my own experience, to make the indicator lights work in a satisfactory way has required the purchase and fitting onboard of a small electronics package.  But the specification of the electronics package can vary according to the make of towing vehicle.

Have any other members experienced this problem?

Looking forward to hearing from members

pande

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Posted on 03/02/2019 23:24

Hi Pande,

We Have purchased a Swift Elegance 650, 6 weeks ago, and has not been the best start so far. We have had, and we are still having electrical issues.

The rear light issue and also interior lights flickering when taps turned on/off

continous Alarm triggering issue, the van has been back 3 times in 6 weeks and no further forward.

rear lights, Vlm4 module fitted but no fix the a vlm6 module fitted all appeared Okay at first, indicate and break and every so often it triggers both indicators, the power supply app also now shows car battery using 0.1v when unplugged from the car it’s only a small amount but even still it looks like this fix has a power supply bridge issue, 

internal light issue seems to have been sorted with a plugin fix ?

swift appear to be having more than one teathing issue with their swift command / Sargent partnership. 

lornalou1 replied on 04/02/2019 15:18

Posted on 03/02/2019 23:24 by Nathan Ellis

Hi Pande,

We Have purchased a Swift Elegance 650, 6 weeks ago, and has not been the best start so far. We have had, and we are still having electrical issues.

The rear light issue and also interior lights flickering when taps turned on/off

continous Alarm triggering issue, the van has been back 3 times in 6 weeks and no further forward.

rear lights, Vlm4 module fitted but no fix the a vlm6 module fitted all appeared Okay at first, indicate and break and every so often it triggers both indicators, the power supply app also now shows car battery using 0.1v when unplugged from the car it’s only a small amount but even still it looks like this fix has a power supply bridge issue, 

internal light issue seems to have been sorted with a plugin fix ?

swift appear to be having more than one teathing issue with their swift command / Sargent partnership. 

Posted on 04/02/2019 15:18

that's got me worrying as pick my elegance 650 up in about 2 months.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook