CL usage.

painie replied on 02/05/2019 17:21

Posted on 02/05/2019 17:21

We use CLs all year round as we enjoy the variety and the fact that in general they have a maximum of 5 outfits. However lately it’s becoming more normal to see what are obviously workers using sites. For example the CL on which I am sited at the moment there are 3 caravans, myself and two workers prompting me to write this. Now, when CLs sign up to the club I’m sure they are made aware that this is not what our club is about; more to the point, when I pay my membership, it’s not what I expect. Surely our sites are for pleasure not to be used as a cheap hotel.

Moderator Comment - Please read the instructions for posting in the Story Section before posting. Moved to discussions.

moulesy replied on 07/05/2019 17:43

Posted on 07/05/2019 17:43

I've never come across this on a CL and I'm not sure I'd know the difference between a holiday maker's caravan and a worker's caravan. But if there are only 3 vans on the site and the workers (presumably fellow members) are not doing anything untoward I really can't see a problem.

JVB66 replied on 07/05/2019 18:10

Posted on 07/05/2019 18:10

" workers" are to be found on many club sites near cities (ccc as well)so it is very possible that there may be some on a CL/Cs is the Cl you are on near anywhere that could be where they are working

DavidKlyne replied on 10/05/2019 12:11

Posted on 10/05/2019 12:11

Surely the other guests on the CL are also members and pay their membership fees? If that is not the case then obviously it requires further investigation but how you would know I have no idea. Is not the crux of the matter whether your stay was spoilt because members in a couple of caravans went out early in the morning and returned in the evening leaving all day to enjoy a quiet CL, not the fact that they were going to work each day? The problem with posts like this is that there is no way of knowing if your perceived problem is widespread or just an isolated incident. As you were on the spot you could have discussed the situation with the owner of the CL. I note you have not left a review of the site you stayed on.

David

Vulcan replied on 10/05/2019 12:42

Posted on 02/05/2019 17:21 by painie

We use CLs all year round as we enjoy the variety and the fact that in general they have a maximum of 5 outfits. However lately it’s becoming more normal to see what are obviously workers using sites. For example the CL on which I am sited at the moment there are 3 caravans, myself and two workers prompting me to write this. Now, when CLs sign up to the club I’m sure they are made aware that this is not what our club is about; more to the point, when I pay my membership, it’s not what I expect. Surely our sites are for pleasure not to be used as a cheap hotel.

Moderator Comment - Please read the instructions for posting in the Story Section before posting. Moved to discussions.

Posted on 10/05/2019 12:42

You are quite correct in your concern, despite what other members are saying the regulations are quite clear with regard to the use of CL's.

Subject to the provisions of paragraph 13 of this Schedule, a site licence shall not be required for the use as a caravan site of land which is occupied by an organisation which holds for the time being a certificate of exemption granted under paragraph 12 of this Schedule (hereinafter referred to as an exempted organisation) if the use is for purposes of recreation and is under the supervision of the organisation.

And

Rule 3: Cls are for recreational use only (1960 Act)

Visitors should be on holiday and caravans should not normally be left unoccupied overnight or used for permanent residential purposes.

eurortraveller replied on 10/05/2019 13:47

Posted on 10/05/2019 13:47

It's reassuring that some Club members are always vigilant to keep an eye on rules and regulations being broken - whether it's speeding on site, dogs and children not being on leads, arrivals and departures being  too early or too late, toilets not being double flushed, visitors walking across pitches, finding a sixth Caravan on a CL, and now the dreadful sin of some members actually going to work every morning. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook