Strensham Services new parking area chaos - beware

MrGMG replied on 24/07/2018 10:14

Posted on 24/07/2018 10:14

Two weeks ago we were travelling down to Gloucestershire. Having been there many times previously without any issues decided to stop for lunch at Strensham services. My how things have changed for caravan parking. The size of the parking area has now been significantly reduced and access to the parking area is much more difficult than previously, involving several 90 degree turns. The marked parking bays are barely wide enough for caravans to park adjacent to each other. The bays are so tight that once parked it is impossible to open the caravan door when next to another caravan. Beware if you have a longer caravan or motorhome as manoeuvring round the anti-clockwise approach into the bays requires some considerable skill when there are other vehicles present. To add to the caravanners woes,, if you once get into the parking area and find it full there is no escape route, you're stuck until someone ahead moves out.

Also,, as with most motorway services the caravan area was marked "caravans only" but there were significant numbers of cars and vans parked there reducing the space available.. 

We're not the sort of caravannners who expect something for nothing, ie just parking up eating our own sandwiches etc and leaving without buying anything. When travelling South on the M5 we've often used Strensham, buying lunch and coffee, maybe a magazine or two, however we won't be going back.  

Sadly we had a similar experience travelling North from Devon when we stopped at Michaelwood services near Bristol. It's probably a time worn complaint but it's fairly obvious that many motorway service areas just don't want caravanners or motorhomers so they make it impossible to park.

Moderator Edit:

Moved from Story Section.

brue replied on 24/07/2018 10:24

Posted on 24/07/2018 10:24

There's been significant parking redevelopment at Strensham South recently and the caravan parking bays have been put back into their original area away from the lorries, although you can still park with the lorries if spaces are busy. I have seen caravanners damage their vans at Strensham due to the tight corners. It will be very busy from now on in the school holidays, if preferred go on a bit further to the much better and fairly new Gloucester services. Personally I think Michaelwood north is much improved for vans but everywhere will be busy at peak times.

There is a discussion about motorway services on the main forum so it might be worth putting your observations on there as not many will read your input in this section.

JohnM20 replied on 24/07/2018 14:10

Posted on 24/07/2018 14:10

Beware of the caravan parking at Lancaster services (northbound). It is very tight to get in or out with very high concrete kerbs / walls at the entrance as you turn. A scrape waiting to happen.The parking is in the hotel car park which has very little space. Not one I'll go back to.

harryb replied on 24/07/2018 22:28

Posted on 24/07/2018 22:28

Another area the clubs could campaign for.

Many times you see bus bays empty but try parking in them and you are quickly moved on. Cherwell Services on the M40 two weeks ago,  all caravan bays were full and only 2 buses so I went back around the circuit and parked there. I was moved on by a warden. When asked where should I park I was told to park in the lorry area. However if you park in the HGV bays at Peterborough you get moved on there too

Comes the time we may have to travel through the night. frown

redface replied on 26/07/2018 21:28

Posted on 26/07/2018 21:28

Always difficult with motorway services, I agree.

Tend to drive from home (max 3 hrs.) to a 2 night stopover, then on to destination.

Saves a lot of aggro!

Lewis Tomlinson replied on 17/01/2023 11:35

Posted on 17/01/2023 11:35

Has anyone recently used strensham M5 Southbound caravan parking? Im planning ahead my holidays but when on a long journey I like to plan my routes carefully for stops. Some of motorway services caravan parking make it very difficult for you

watto64 replied on 27/01/2023 07:30

Posted on 17/01/2023 11:35 by Lewis Tomlinson

Has anyone recently used strensham M5 Southbound caravan parking? Im planning ahead my holidays but when on a long journey I like to plan my routes carefully for stops. Some of motorway services caravan parking make it very difficult for you

Posted on 27/01/2023 07:30

Used it a few times over the past few months towing a caravan, even in 'low' season still used by vans campervans/motorhomers, mini bus etc. so places can be limited which you will be able assess before turning into the area. if it is too busy I have used the lorry parking spaces further on and not even bothered turning into the 'caravan' dedicated area.

The first turn in is OK if you go wide but the second is very tight with high curbs, we manage (just) with an 8m twin axle caravan. Look out for cars that enter the service area on this corner, i think its a staff entry point.

Hja replied on 27/01/2023 15:23

Posted on 27/01/2023 07:30 by watto64

Used it a few times over the past few months towing a caravan, even in 'low' season still used by vans campervans/motorhomers, mini bus etc. so places can be limited which you will be able assess before turning into the area. if it is too busy I have used the lorry parking spaces further on and not even bothered turning into the 'caravan' dedicated area.

The first turn in is OK if you go wide but the second is very tight with high curbs, we manage (just) with an 8m twin axle caravan. Look out for cars that enter the service area on this corner, i think its a staff entry point.

Posted on 27/01/2023 15:23

A motorcaravan can legitimately park in caravan parking.  No more welcome in lorry park than caravans are.

GTrimmer replied on 03/07/2023 11:34

Posted on 03/07/2023 11:34

We've just returned from a trip to France via the ferry from Newhaven.

Having got as far as Thurrock M25 services from Norwich it was time for a rest stop.  However, on finding the caravan bays they were (all six!) full - with lorries. We found the lorry parking had plenty of space so pulled in there, only to be told by a vey officious warden to move on , 'this is for trucks!'.  Pointing out that trucks were occupying the caravan slots he said that wasn't his problem !

I am aware of the issues faced by truckers regarding driving hours etc, but the same safety issues affects us.  Incidentally all the wagons improperly parked in caravan spots were UK registered , so language should not have been an issue. Perhaps they just couldn't read!

Clacket lane allowed for a short stop 30 minutes or so later.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook