French law on blind spot warning signs

Mr relaxation replied on 24/02/2023 22:17

Posted on 24/02/2023 22:17

Hi, on reading an article on traveling in France, a caravan magazine advises that caravans with a total weight of car and caravan over 3,500kg should have the blind spot warnings on the side and rear of the caravan, I was aware of this applying to motorhomes but not including caravans, is anyone else aware of this ruling.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

montesa replied on 26/02/2023 08:48

Posted on 26/02/2023 08:48

Hi,

Suitably worried that we may be contravening yet more of the newer rules, regs and old folklore myths etc have had a bit of a read and Google up etc.

Await correction but from what I’ve read …

it seems the sticker requirement is as you said for all vehicles over 3.5T inc Motorhomes etc that require the Angles Mort stickers in very specific positions.
Not required though if your tow car is under 3.5T. 
May update this info after passage towing north through France in 9 days time.
Await other views and no doubt Rowena & co at CMC may comment  …. ? 

SteveL replied on 26/02/2023 09:55

Posted on 26/02/2023 09:55

In September we saw plenty on MH’s, even some certainly less than 3.5 tonnes. However didn’t notice any on caravans. That of course should in no way be taken as they don’t need them, on that I have no idea. I just checked before going that our MH was OK without. Doesn’t stop them trying to sell them to you on the ferry though.

Metheven replied on 26/02/2023 10:25

Posted on 26/02/2023 10:25

"All vehicles over 3.5t"

Is that because most EU countries look upon a caravan as a seperate vehicle and is termed as that? meaning there will be two vehicles in that towing situation whereas the UK does not deem a caravan a vehicle.

So it should be read as IF the tow car is over 3.5t and/or the caravan is over 3.5t! My reading is not needed, but could be wrong smile

peedee replied on 26/02/2023 10:34

Posted on 26/02/2023 10:34

This has been discussed before >here< I believe it only applies to trailers (caravans) if either the towing vehicle or the trailer is over 3.5 tons.

peedee

RedKite replied on 26/02/2023 11:50

Posted on 26/02/2023 11:50

A thorny subject.

Look at the plate in your car or motorhome. If the PTAC (poids total autorisé en charge), which maybe called max train weight, or similar is less than 3500 KG, then forget it, come to France in total serenity. (But don't over load it, 135 euro fine and possible impounding of vehicle if caught).

Cars and caravans are separate vehicles. Very much so in France, with their own registration.

If you have a motorhome and the PTAC is equal or more than 3500, then you will need angles morts stickers, placed within the limits prescribed by the regs. Even if you don't load it to there. See below.

If your car has a limit of 3500 or more, not many cars, but 4x4 may have this, mine is 5200, then don't worry about angles morts. But see below.

Check your driving license. Categories are harmonised. If you have a cat BE, or better Cxxx or Dxxx then fine. You are OK. You can drive up to 4200KG, and up to 7000KG if towing, as long as the vehicle PTAC spec permits this. This is most UK licenses. Don't tow a heavier trailer than your car though. In my case, Licence is BE, car has PTAC of 5200 and weight about 2000 on its own. So I can tow a trailer up to 2000 KG, which will be over the 3500 limit and inside the 7000 limit

Some licenses may be cat B, especially newer ones. This will only allow up to 3500 KG, or up to 4250 towing. In addition, the trailer PTAC can only be up to 750 KG in any case on a B licence.

Because of the separate vehicles bit, unless you tow a caravan over 3500 KG, you won't need angles morts. That would be difficult to do because the car would have to be at least that weight, capable of towing it, and you would be over the 7000 KG total anyway. (and the car would have to have angle morts anyway). However, watch out if towing with a big van. Even towing with a motorhome, the caravan would not need them. But again, watch out if using a fifth wheeler.

So there.

Lutz replied on 26/02/2023 11:53

Posted on 26/02/2023 11:53

Yes, a car towing a caravan is two vehicles, so it doesn't apply in this case.

Lutz replied on 26/02/2023 12:52

Posted on 26/02/2023 12:52

PTAC is the gross vehicle weight, not the gross train weight.

Gross train weight is PTRA (Poids Total Roulant Autorisé)

The UK never issued any licences allowing a gross train weight of 4250kg with a trailer exceeding 750kg. This would be a B94 licence, but that was never offered in the UK and it's irrelevant now anyway since BE entitlement is added automatically to UK Category B licences.

Mr relaxation replied on 28/02/2023 23:12

Posted on 28/02/2023 23:12

Hi, I read this article on nearside warning signs in this months Camping and caravan magazine and have e mailed the club to confirm the details, I will advise on recipt of a reply, thank you all for your replies.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook