Winter sun in Spain

mike60 replied on 20/12/2022 13:24

Posted on 20/12/2022 13:24

Hi, all i am thinking of going to Spain in the winter mouths can any one tell me when it is the best time to go after Christmas and what parts are best for the sun.

I was thinking around the Andalusia/Murcia area can any one advice for the best wheater area in Spain and good sites with good standard of facilities thank you

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

brue replied on 20/12/2022 14:12

Posted on 20/12/2022 14:12

You'll probably find a moderator will move your post into the Overseas section of the main forum and you'll no doubt get lots of replies on there, good luck. smile

eurortraveller replied on 21/12/2022 11:23

Posted on 21/12/2022 11:23

Mike60, Best winter weather in mainland Spain is in the far south. There are half a dozen recommended sites down there here on the Club website.  Ferry from Portsmouth to Santander then drive 600 miles. 

JimE replied on 21/12/2022 17:21

Posted on 21/12/2022 17:21

Anywhere on the Med coast south of the Ebro Delta has a reasonable climate, although January can be quite chilly.  We tend to set off from the UK late January/early February and usually get quite pleasant weather.

We are off in 5 weeks time on a 60 day trip starting at the CAMC Rally at Alannia Costa Blanca, followed by a stay at Camping Javea and then on to Camping Bonterra Park.  We start in the south and move north as the weather gets warmer.

If you haven't already done so, these discussions are worth a read :

Travelling to a hosted site in Spain in February

Alannia Costa Blanca in Winter

Winter Sun Holiday Alannia Costa Blanca 2023

Happy travels.

Jim

Tammygirl replied on 21/12/2022 17:53

Posted on 21/12/2022 17:53

Anywhere south of Alicante is usually good weather, Almeria is considered the driest and sunniest region in Spain.

I would think of going sometime after the middle of January. Booking ahead if using the more popular sites or consider phoning ahead a few days off to make sure there is room for you.

January/February are the second busiest months after July/August. There are plenty of sites that won't be full but the popular ones can be booked up a year ahead. 

montesa replied on 23/12/2022 07:54

Posted on 23/12/2022 07:54

fwiw …..

Hi, When we set about the idea of over wintering (likely down in Spain), rather than another dreadful Pennines grey gloom, the driest possible area and most likely for sunnier warmer weather was our main criteria. So we ended up right on an area of scenic Med coast in South Eastern Spain in Europes ‘Desert’ Region. NB The general area further south of our choice around Almeria City / Roquetas is aesthetically pretty dreadful ( we feel) blighted by vast Plastic greenhouse horticulture. There is a general view to go east of Malaga & south of Valencia for a chance of better warmer weather during Winter.

True in January it can some days for us be chilly if a rare cloudy day  (12 / 14 deg) and you may choose long trousers, but the normal blue sky, sunny & 3 hours extra daylight makes it worthwhile. A sheltered spot mid-afternoon in January and break out the sun cream (again). Ultimately the future weather anywhere in the world is a gamble, but you can hedge your bet.
We did a cheap fly drive week prior leisurely Touring around numerous recommended popular sites and areas - strongly recommended you do the same. It shortlisted for us the area & some Sites where we would likely go ( and def not) after our 1650 mile overland 6 day tow from Home. We covered, part with an earlier holiday trip, from Manilva west of Marbella across and up to Alicante, all in the coastal areas. Not surprisingly some campsite websites do fib, have misleading photos and get friendly positive reviews sometimes concealing many issues. We discounted all the common heavily tree covered sites (great in summer heat but gloomy in winter). 
Equally though you may just hate the smaller & a bit rustic quirky site where we return & much like !  
As a general guide the bigger swisher sites if so desired = big site fees even in Winter. c.50 nights @ often <€50 ( & no long stay discounts) versus under €20 or less with long stay discounts at many ? We last trip paid €15pn for 63 nights with free 6A EHU - ample as LPG is very cheap & it’s warm ! 
Due to depart 10/1/23 again (4th trip) 60+ days ……
Enjoy ! 
M

eurortraveller replied on 23/12/2022 12:32

Posted on 23/12/2022 12:32

For those not tied to a caravan or motorhome… my Birmingham daughter is just back from Seville, Cadiz and  so on.  

Did they drive across France from Calais or take a ferry across the Bay of Biscay?  No, a direct flight from Birmingham  to Malaga was £39 return - yes, return. The flight was under three hours and they went south with a hire car from Malaga airport using AirBnB on the way. 

replied on 24/12/2022 08:09

Posted on 23/12/2022 12:32 by eurortraveller

For those not tied to a caravan or motorhome… my Birmingham daughter is just back from Seville, Cadiz and  so on.  

Did they drive across France from Calais or take a ferry across the Bay of Biscay?  No, a direct flight from Birmingham  to Malaga was £39 return - yes, return. The flight was under three hours and they went south with a hire car from Malaga airport using AirBnB on the way. 

Posted on 24/12/2022 08:09

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 24/12/2022 09:39

Posted on 24/12/2022 09:39

Horses for courses, AD, but the utter boredom of spending weeks and weeks on one campsite would drive me nuts. Happy Christmas 

young thomas replied on 24/12/2022 10:15

Posted on 24/12/2022 10:15

I think some folk are fortunate enough to be able to 'live' for part of the year in the uk AND spend some time 'living' somewhere warmer avoiding the uk winter weather.

neither of the above precludes those from also spending shorter periods touring the rest of the world..

if you're lucky enough to have choice.....

replied on 24/12/2022 20:21

Posted on 24/12/2022 09:39 by eurortraveller

Horses for courses, AD, but the utter boredom of spending weeks and weeks on one campsite would drive me nuts. Happy Christmas 

Posted on 24/12/2022 20:21

The user and all related content has been deleted
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook