Tow with A-Frame in Europe

MBS21 replied on 08/06/2024 09:04

Posted on 08/06/2024 09:04

We tow our Fiat 500 with an A-Frame and heard many negative stories about doing so!!

However, since travelling through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, and Italy, the only time we were stopped by the police was going into, and coming out of, Italy. We showed the police our trailer certificate and they were satisfied we were legal

Throughout our trip we’ve had nothing but positive interest for what a convenient way to travel, to be able to visit the most challenging of places where motorhomes cannot go

We would encourage anyone to travel as we do

Moderator Comment- Moved from the Story Section as likely to be seen by more here in Overseas Touring

DavidKlyne replied on 08/06/2024 11:43

Posted on 08/06/2024 11:43

There is always a lot of debate about using A-Frames in Europe. I wonder if maybe you have been lucky as I note you didn't go through Germany where there have been instances of people towing with an A-Frames being told to unhitch and drive each vehicle separately. Perhaps Lutz would be more of an expert on this matter than me but my understanding is that A-Frames are not Type Approved so they are not legal in any country including the UK. However in the UK the Government have taken a pragmatic approach and decided that they will overlook the issue of type approval and basically turn a blind eye to it. Some countries in Europe are much hotter on the use of A-Frames so it is a bit of a gamble using them in Europe. I am sure there are countless stories of people successfully towing them across the the Continent with no issues but you only have to come across a policeman that knows his traffic law in detail and you could be in trouble. The sound advice is if you want to tow a car in Europe is to put it on a trailer.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 08/06/2024 11:55

Posted on 08/06/2024 11:55

I feel it’s a little unwise to encourage others to do as you do, MBS. There have been many instances of folk with A-frames being pulled over and made to uncouple in Europe.  I think it’s better to let others do their own research for the countries they’re visiting so they can make an informed choice. However, I hope your luck continues👍.

ClubMember23F0DE86C4 replied on 10/06/2024 10:08

Posted on 10/06/2024 10:08

Please could you advise on how to get a trailer certificate for an A frame? We have an A frame, but didn't receive any certificate when it was fitted. Many thanks. 

Lutz replied on 12/06/2024 18:25

Posted on 12/06/2024 18:25

An A-frame cannot be issued with a trailer certificate because it is not a trailer, but only the component of a trailer. Only when it is hitched to the towed car does it become a trailer. However, no-one has ever applied for type approval of an A-frame/car combination, so there is no such thing as a trailer certificate that covers an A-frame. Since 2014 trailers require whole vehicle type approval, thus making A-frames illegal on the Continent because they are not type approved as trailers. In the UK, A.frames are tolerated, but not legal because there is no legislation specifically relating to A-frames.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/06/2024 22:14

Posted on 12/06/2024 18:25 by Lutz

An A-frame cannot be issued with a trailer certificate because it is not a trailer, but only the component of a trailer. Only when it is hitched to the towed car does it become a trailer. However, no-one has ever applied for type approval of an A-frame/car combination, so there is no such thing as a trailer certificate that covers an A-frame. Since 2014 trailers require whole vehicle type approval, thus making A-frames illegal on the Continent because they are not type approved as trailers. In the UK, A.frames are tolerated, but not legal because there is no legislation specifically relating to A-frames.

Posted on 12/06/2024 22:14

Thanks Lutz, I knew you would be able to give us chapter and verse on this.

What I find interesting is that the main motorhome magazine in the UK, when this subject is raised, as it was recently, doesn't seem to be able to give as clear an answer on what the law is. The Vienna Convention is often mentioned but that doesn't override type approval regulations as far as I understand it. What people often quote is that if its law in your own country it is able to be used in other countries. But as we have both indicated A-Frames are not legal anywhere!

David

Lutz replied on 13/06/2024 14:03

Posted on 13/06/2024 14:03

It is hardly surprising that a magazine is unable to give a clear answer as to what the law is, simply because there is no law relating to A-frames. That being the case, the position in the UK is that they are tolerated so long as the A-frame/car combination meets certain minimum technical criteria. The Continental position is that for lack of specific legislation, A-frame/car combinations will be treated as trailers and must meet all requirements that apply to trailers. This A-frames clearly do no do. For instance, there is no proof of fulfilment of minimum braking performance requirements for the combination. To do that, the manufacturer of the A-frame would have to test each possible A-frame/car combination or restrict the use of an A-frame to certain models of cars which have been tested together with their A-frame. (That the car meets braking requirements doesn't necessarily mean that it also meets them in combination with an A-frame, too). Furthermore, cars generally have to be modified to provide anchorage points for the A-frame. That these anchorage points do not in any way adversely affect frontal crash performance, for example, is not documented anywhere. I'm not sure, but I think that the lighting equipment fitted to cars, in particular when towed by an A-frame, does not fulfil trailer lighting requirements fully, either.

Lutz replied on 13/06/2024 15:12

Posted on 13/06/2024 15:12

Another issue which comes to mind is that there is no manufacturer who would accept product liability for the A-frame/car combination. The A-frame manufacturer has product liability for the A-frame and the car manufacturer obviously for the car, but who can vouch for the combination?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook