Burst air awning pole

martinjwrig replied on 25/10/2018 18:05

Posted on 25/10/2018 18:05

I have just read that someone's Kampa awning pole burst whilst they were at Sandringham in July.  We stayed at the Sandringham site this last weekend and returned to the site on Sunday to find the central pole in our Starcamp air awning collapsed.  On investigation we found that the inner tube had completely burst, making the awning useless, so we had to take it down.  It is less than two years old, but as we haven't yet contacted Dorema, not sure what the outcome will be.  

Sunday was quite hot and sunny and I can only think that the air inside the tube expanded, so much so that the pressure made the tube burst.  Surely the manufacturers would have thought this could happen and build something into it so that some of the air could pass out, without bursting the tube.

Moved from the Story Section

mickysf replied on 26/10/2018 04:21

Posted on 26/10/2018 04:21

Our daughter's burst in mid summer. The tube had expanded so much it had split the containment sleeve and then failed. Excellent service from the importers who supplied replacement tube and containment sleeve FOC.

Cornersteady replied on 26/10/2018 20:05

Posted on 26/10/2018 20:05

It doesn't help that the air poles material are black on some (while the rest of the is sliver) so will absorb more heat in sunlight? I agree that the manufactures would give advice on the pressure to use on hotter days?

Flyingfox replied on 26/10/2018 20:08

Posted on 26/10/2018 20:08

We had an air pole burst on our Westfield Carina back in June. Ripped the stitching and made the Awning useless. Tried to contact Westfield with an email but up to now we have never had a reply. Had a problem with our small Kampa awning and to be fair Kampa were all over it, couldn't do enough to help.

Wherenext replied on 26/10/2018 21:21

Posted on 26/10/2018 21:21

It wasn't that hot on Sunday, not compared to summer heat, but the difference from overnight "heat" to daytime might have been a shock to its system. Only a suggestion as I'm no expert.

Milothedog replied on 27/10/2018 07:19

Posted on 27/10/2018 07:19

Makes me wonder if people are over inflating them ? I use the electric pump that came with my Bradcot Aspire which you pre set to the pressure specified in the awnings instructions, once reached it cuts out.

ocsid replied on 27/10/2018 08:42

Posted on 27/10/2018 07:19 by Milothedog

Makes me wonder if people are over inflating them ? I use the electric pump that came with my Bradcot Aspire which you pre set to the pressure specified in the awnings instructions, once reached it cuts out.

Posted on 27/10/2018 08:42

But then again it will depend on the ambient when you use the pump.

If you do that in the cool then in the heat of the day plus the radiant heating of the tube the pressure will inevitably be above what the pump control had set it too.

With these things is it practical to ease off a bit of the pressure and re-pump back so it can be set right in the hotter conditions?

Milothedog replied on 27/10/2018 09:29

Posted on 27/10/2018 08:42 by ocsid

But then again it will depend on the ambient when you use the pump.

If you do that in the cool then in the heat of the day plus the radiant heating of the tube the pressure will inevitably be above what the pump control had set it too.

With these things is it practical to ease off a bit of the pressure and re-pump back so it can be set right in the hotter conditions?

Posted on 27/10/2018 09:29

I take your point and agree but I'm sure there is a large margin of safety taken into account as well as the factors you mention when the inflation pressure is set buy the designer/manufacturer ? 

My own awning is only inflated to just over 4 psi, 0.3 bar.  if you use a manual pump without a gauge how do you know what the pressure is?

Randomcamper replied on 27/10/2018 21:04

Posted on 25/10/2018 18:05 by martinjwrig

I have just read that someone's Kampa awning pole burst whilst they were at Sandringham in July.  We stayed at the Sandringham site this last weekend and returned to the site on Sunday to find the central pole in our Starcamp air awning collapsed.  On investigation we found that the inner tube had completely burst, making the awning useless, so we had to take it down.  It is less than two years old, but as we haven't yet contacted Dorema, not sure what the outcome will be.  

Sunday was quite hot and sunny and I can only think that the air inside the tube expanded, so much so that the pressure made the tube burst.  Surely the manufacturers would have thought this could happen and build something into it so that some of the air could pass out, without bursting the tube.

Moved from the Story Section

Posted on 27/10/2018 21:04

Surely the manufacturers would have thought this could happen and build something into it so that some of the air could pass out, without bursting the tube.

It would appear Outdoor Revolution did........

http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/oxygen-air-frame-system

Sadly, the others,according to Google, including my Vango Kela, haven't bothered......

richardandros replied on 29/10/2018 07:48

Posted on 26/10/2018 20:08 by Flyingfox

We had an air pole burst on our Westfield Carina back in June. Ripped the stitching and made the Awning useless. Tried to contact Westfield with an email but up to now we have never had a reply. Had a problem with our small Kampa awning and to be fair Kampa were all over it, couldn't do enough to help.

Posted on 29/10/2018 07:48

My experience as well - excellent support from Kampa when we have needed it.

I always inflate our awning to 3 or 4 psi under the recommended maximum and it's always been fine.  In very hot weather, I nevertheless, keep an eye on it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook