It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

Cornersteady replied on 23/07/2021 13:33

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:33

"Having offered, we cannot just say....."right, we are off on holiday next month, see you in 6 weeks"

Well going off topic into grandparenting duties but you brought it up, yes you can, it is their primary responsibility to look after their children not yours, I think the key is you offered and you can withdraw that offer.

Otherwise we are booked for every Wednesday and Thursday, and have to arrange to swap with the other grandparents if we want to take a decent break.

Again your life your choice but personally I think that if you want to take a decent break it is up to your children to make alterative arrangements and not up to you.

Briang replied on 23/07/2021 13:40

Posted on 23/07/2021 11:17 by Tinwheeler

Goodness, are you hoping to impose a new rule for minimum stays?

What impact can it possibly have on anyone if 1 MH uses a pitch for 6 nights or 6 MHs use it for 1 night each? It's about freedom of choice and use - long may it last.

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:40

I was making a comment regarding booking pitches with the amount of motor homes being sold this is only going to get worse. If you read my post properly. I book a year ahead and when i get to the site there are only a couple of pitches available. You might have 1 empty pitch for 1 night then it is filled with a Motor home. This should be changed so when you book a year ahead you should be able to book your pitch. This is not a dig at motorhomes.

Cornersteady replied on 23/07/2021 13:46

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:40 by Briang

I was making a comment regarding booking pitches with the amount of motor homes being sold this is only going to get worse. If you read my post properly. I book a year ahead and when i get to the site there are only a couple of pitches available. You might have 1 empty pitch for 1 night then it is filled with a Motor home. This should be changed so when you book a year ahead you should be able to book your pitch. This is not a dig at motorhomes.

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:46

Briang, I am still trying to work to what you're saying (probably my fault) especially the:

You might have 1 empty pitch for 1 night then it is filled with a Motor home.

What are you trying to say, that after one night it is taken by a MH the following night? What is wrong with that? Nothing in my view? Would it matter if a caravan filled it? Also maybe that MH booked a year in advance too?

Are you asking to book a specific pitch? And if so how would that change the situation you're describing?

replied on 23/07/2021 13:52

Posted on 23/07/2021 12:43 by brue

That's a bit harsh TW, there are many around acting as unpaid carers apart many committed to volunteering to help out in other ways.

Sometimes people get called into work during their time off! Life just isn't straight forward enough to compare who can go away and who can't. smile

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:52

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2021 13:58

Posted on 23/07/2021 12:43 by brue

That's a bit harsh TW, there are many around acting as unpaid carers apart many committed to volunteering to help out in other ways.

Sometimes people get called into work during their time off! Life just isn't straight forward enough to compare who can go away and who can't. smile

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:58

People who work have mostly no choice about when they take their time off. People who voluntarily tie themselves to care of grandchildren have every choice.

So, Brue, it's not harsh at all but completely factual.

SteveL replied on 23/07/2021 13:58

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:46 by Cornersteady

Briang, I am still trying to work to what you're saying (probably my fault) especially the:

You might have 1 empty pitch for 1 night then it is filled with a Motor home.

What are you trying to say, that after one night it is taken by a MH the following night? What is wrong with that? Nothing in my view? Would it matter if a caravan filled it? Also maybe that MH booked a year in advance too?

Are you asking to book a specific pitch? And if so how would that change the situation you're describing?

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:58

I am equally confused CS. Initially I thought it was a complaint about short stays. However, I believe what Briang is saying is that there is insufficient pitch choice due to folk only stopping a night or two and that he should be able to choose his pitch a year ahead.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2021 14:05

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:40 by Briang

Posted on 23/07/2021 14:05

I did read your post properly but, unfortunately, you didn't explain your logic clearly.

What you now seem to be saying is that you want the ability to book a specific pitch which is a completely different issue to both the subject of this thread and the comments you made earlier.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/07/2021 14:07

Posted on 23/07/2021 14:07

Content has been removed.

Tammygirl replied on 23/07/2021 14:18

Posted on 23/07/2021 14:18

We have a caravan and a MH.

When going away we rarely stay anywhere longer than 4 days, to be perfectly honest there isn't many places I would want to stay longer especially in the UK.

Even with the caravan we have done 1 nighters, in 2018 we did 4 one nighters on the bounce going over to France. 

With the MH we tend to stop around lunchtime, have a bite to eat then get the bikes off and have a look around, if we like it we stay a few more days if not we move on. That off course is over there.

Over here we have to make a decision before we book, will we like it, does it have enough to occupy us for 3 or 4 days. So I can see that a lot of folk will just book a few days to check out an area, then go back again if the really like it and want to see more.

We only stay 1 night when going south to the ferries, why should we be forced to stay longer than we need.

brue replied on 23/07/2021 15:28

Posted on 23/07/2021 13:58 by Tinwheeler

People who work have mostly no choice about when they take their time off. People who voluntarily tie themselves to care of grandchildren have every choice.

So, Brue, it's not harsh at all but completely factual.

Posted on 23/07/2021 15:28

Generally speaking families normally step up to the proverbial plate when help is needed for their own members. So I wouldn't personally suggest to anyone on here what they should or shouldn't do.

It's great if you are free to choose holidays ad lib but I expect there are quite a few who have to alter plans, book and rebook to suit life events, caring duties, illness etc etc. So back on thread I don't think the system needs changing as we all might need the flexibility at any given point. smile

That's my three "whatsit" worth as I think the present system just about works for most. CAMC could adopt the C&Cc approach and have minimum bookings at peak times which would probably curtail serial speculative bookings, if they exist? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook